How I base for Bloody Barons

Started by Leman (Andy), May 14, 2022, 11:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman (Andy)

I am quite keen to base units as a single base these days whenever I can. I have been thinking about my WotR figures, and as the unit operates entirely within a relatively large grid area I think I have found a way to make each retinue, ie infantry and cavalry, a unit on a single base. My units started life as 4 30mm frontage bases, so I am now using 120mm by 40mm (approx) bases from TtS. In the right rear corner I fix a 7mm dice frame, then go with red, white or blue for household, retinue and levy. Further, as my previous units were the equivalent to 8 half bases, but when you get down to a single base (ie 2 half bases) left then it is automatically removed,  I can thus use a D6 to represent strength in half bases plus 2, so two pips left represents half strength. I use the old disorder figures to represent disorder and will put my command groups on circular bases. They will join a unit by touching its right side. This should not cause any problems as I solo play. Arrow shortages, morale markers and artillery will stay as written in the rules.

Two full strength levy units using the PP generic flags.

mellis1644

Great idea and they look good.

I'm trying to be generic with mine so ended up with a lot of small bases... pics coming soon. :)

Leman (Andy)

The Generic flag sheets from PP are a blessing for this approach. I have also found that standards and flags for historical commanders are supplied in 15mm by Pete's Flags (eBay), Ancient and Modern (previously Donnington), and Citadel Six (who seem to be the only supplier of characters such as the Duke of York). The Citadel Six flags are also of the self adhesive style, so may not be to everybody's taste. If anyone knows of any other 15mm WotR flag suppliers I would appreciate that info - cheers, Andy.

Colonel Kilgore

Andy,

John Watson would be very sad if the Lance & Longbow Society's Freezywater Flags didn't get a mention here:

https://lanceandlongbow.com/shopFlags.php

A very extensive range of very nice flags, banners and standards (not that I'm entirely sure of the nuanced distinctions!).

Simon

Leman (Andy)

Some more completions - generic base 3, The Kingmaker command stand and some morale markers and dead general tokens.

Colonel Kilgore

That's some lovely work, Andy - thanks for sharing!

Simon

Leman (Andy)

Still painting up and basing what I currently have, but would love to put in another order, however, at present the heads are not available to buy and the new archers are still not on the site. Being on the wrong/right side of La Manche it's not worth me putting in a large order followed by a much smaller one. Better to do it all in one go.

Leman (Andy)

Have made some Winning the Fight markers. I thought WINNING was more appropriate than WTF.

Colonel Kilgore

Very nice and tidy, Andy. Your neat handwriting helps too!

Simon

Leslie BT

Leman (Andy)

This winning the fight marker I think of as "no argument there then"

The casualty is a dead Essex knight wo happened to be wearing an armet with the visor raised. I cut the inside out and then painted the inside black. I also did a pin vise drill into the chest and glued ib a cut down spear. The winner is the Peter Pig 'amusing figure' holding a head.

Colonel Kilgore

Very clever, Andy - there certainly is no argument there!

Simon

Leman (Andy)

The Kingmaker's household troops are now complete, giving me the first of my historic household units. I plan to do 5 or 6 of these.

I now have 6 units finished, with a 7th on the painting block. Then I plan a little breather to work on some scenic items for St Albans, plus further game markers, before the mammoth push for the 9 remaining units and the 5 command stands. Thank goodness the handgunners are mostly painted.

Colonel Kilgore

Very nice, Andy!

I do like the fact in WOTR that it's relatively easy to have historical leader bases with loads of flags - possibly the most colourful PP period to play in?

Simon

Leman (Andy)

Cheers Simon. I'm really looking forward to getting these onto the table and into battle. However, I was forgetting I will also need to do a command base for Henry VI, who was present but did not actually command. He can though be captured to provide victory points.