How I base for Bloody Barons

Started by Leman (Andy), May 14, 2022, 11:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman (Andy)

A few more odds and ends for the BB project:

First up is another retinue unit. I had a number of figures from my original WotR project of 40 years ago, wearing black and red livery (Stafford), plus two flags from then, so I painted up half a dozen extras to complete the unit. In fact three or four of the figures are Mike's Models.

Next up two pictures of the market cross. The preaching friar and the Dominican monks are Essex. The woman shoe seller is from the old Peter Pig Renaissance Italy range and the stocks and cross are from the Peter Pig ECW sprinkles pack, with a little bit of trimming on the stocks figure to make him look more C15th. Almost all the paints used were contrast.

The well, courtesy of the Joan of Arc game.

Mayhem in the streets. A local resident outside the Blue Bushel is unaware of the disturbance going on around him. Building by Joan of Arc; pub sign and drunk from the PP ECW sprinkles pack,  with the drunk modified to more C15th attire; the scrapping knights are both PP but the casualty is from the original range whereas the winner is one of the new sculpts (household fighting).

Smoking gun

Andy,
Very nice painting and composition of the figures.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Leman (Andy)

Cheers Martin. This has been the most enjoyable project I have done since I started my Peter Pig 1914 project back in the UK. Whereas the BB project benefits (for me) from single base units, I am intending to put my WWI figures back onto the 30mm frontages cited in the rules.

Colonel Kilgore

This is a lovely project, Andy. Nice to see bits and bobs from different manufacturers coming together so nicely.

Those Joan of Arc buildings are nice and full of character - maybe something for us all to look out for on eBay?

Simon

Leman (Andy)

Indeed they are. I would particularly recommend the Village Pack, which contains buildings, civilians, animals, trees, tents and so on. Also the Siege Pack containing the full castle, plus damaged wall sections, siege machines, artillery, handgunners. There are some fascinating odds and ends in those Joan of Arc packs, including monsters, devils, angels etc. The game itself is a bit board game style, but the figures and terrain items are great.

Leman (Andy)

Finally the weather has cooled and I have been able to finish the shop building for St Albans and other Medieval and ECW battles.

pbeccas (Paul)

Colonel Kilgore

Very nicely done,  Andy - you've brought out lots of colourful detail there.

Simon

Leman (Andy)

Anatoli

Very beautiful ...
I like very much the base with the monk ! The painting (both figures and scenery elements) is superb too.

Really inspiring !

Ben Waterhouse

Excellent Andy, great inspiration. I really like the Big Bases.

Leman (Andy)

Getting back to work on these this evening now that the weather has finally broken here. I have one generic unit to finish and then some work on a Welsh spear unit and another of predominantly Welsh bow, the latter using some Joan of Arc figures which will give them a slightly old fashioned/rustic look compared to the English.

Leman (Andy)

Welsh spears are nearly done and the generic unit is done and packed away. Meanwhile here are the Duke of York command, four commander trait markers and a couple of woodland scenics trees.

Colonel Kilgore

Those are rather lovely, Andy - great job!

Simon

Leman (Andy)

Looks like one or two might have picked up a bit of grass. I'll have to keep them out of The Flying
Dutchman in Groningen.  :o