Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Bridge Too Far  (Read 13046 times)

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A Bridge Too Far
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 09:36:50 PM »
Scenery and  how it looks is always on top of my list. Have you not seen some of my games i put on ?
Me and Les were talking yesterday how each table set up must have players on and doing something ? In June when i get out to my storage shed and sort it out, i will start putting the type of buildings we will need for Nijmegen in to a seperate box.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »
Have you not seen some of my games i put on ?

Well, I think the first I've seen were the pictures from your excellent CWB session yesterday that you've just posted - very nice indeed, and I was not intending to imply any slight on what you would produce for the Arnhem / Nijmegan day! Apologies if I have inadvertently caused any offence.

Simon

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »
No offence taken. But trust me when we put on games like this they will be the best one can Try and do at the time. Especially Scenery!
I ve included a quick map of the tables I was thinking about putting together.
Now just to bang a “rumour” on the head now. All 3 table set ups will be active all of the game. Nobody will be “ Standing around” doing nothing !!!!!!!!
 This will be day 2/3 of the action the Son Bridge has been rebuilt as a Pooton Bridge at which the Germans will try and destroy. This will be the first actions of Hells Highway table. The US Paras of 101st will be present on certain tables and the Germans on others. This is yet to be worked out.
 The next table is Nijmegen. The US 82 nd will try and get a foothold into the city. This may or may not have a “Bridge” in it.
 Then there is the “Prize”
Trying to get to the cut off British Paras who are holding a piece of the Rhine river that hopefully
British 30th corps can set up Pooton Bridges and maybe Win The WAR !!!!! The US and British Paras are fighting from the out set. So the “Top” tables are active at all times.
Sorry the map is basic but I have no computer so having to do this “ old School”
So the Paras have landed, 30th Corps is thru Enidoven they have re-opened the Son Bridge.
The Gap down the middle is where the access is for all tables that Micheal introduced at the Ardennes game.
I am trying to include all the main features of the Event without going OTT. Obviously Nijmegen will be an Urban table. Oosterbeek will be a bit of both and the British will be mainly  Infantry units and Veteran so they won’t die to easily as the odds are against them. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2018, 03:13:40 PM »
When do you plan to list the oob that you want to see who can provide what

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »
I was going to talk to people at
Square Bashing and your Western days see who is in and what they think they can do etc and then we can start doing serious planning from there.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2018, 07:37:06 PM »
I'll continue the maps in a week or so after we've cut the hay.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
A Bridge Too Far: Planning and Logistics
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2018, 09:28:03 PM »
I am starting this as this needs to be as the title says. General chit chat at this game will continue on "A Bridge too Far" so game queries  chat about the rules etc please keep to the main feed !!!
There is a lot to organise.

So first of all the game:
Hell's Highway. This table will be a mix of small towns/villages with 2 main roads leading North with farms and rivers/canals and the odd windmill. This the main table consisting of 8 4x4 tables 4 up and 2 wide.
 Troops of the US airborne 101 st will be defending( including Easy company !). The British will be driving up from the south on both tables, mainly the Guards Armoured and Elements of the 11th Armoured. To help the 101st secure these boards.
Of course the Germans will be attacking from all sides to try and cut off the advance
For this we will need a commander of 101st US airbourne.
Commander for Guards Armoured and a Sub command for 11Th Armoured
For the Germans and Commander for the main German force inculding German Paratroopers and a hotch potched of German units including Armour, and infantry of allsorts.
Nijmegen. This table will be mainly Urban consisting of 4 4x4 tables 2 up 2 wide.
The Germans will be defending this table with the 82nd US airbourne attacking and hopefully joined by 30th Corp (not too much) later in the game
For this we will need a commander for Germans mainly SS and some local militia units.
And of course and commander for 82nd U S airbourne.
Oosterbeek/Arnhem. This will be a mixture of urban and forest consisiting of 4 4x4 tables 2 up and 2 wide.
The British Paras will be defending this with units coming in from both sides as cauldron closes in on them. There will be a British Para commander and one other both of these players will be on their own for most of the game fighting a desperate battle of Survival, trying to keep a stance on the northern bank of the river Rhine.
The Germans mainly SS will be coming in from the north and either side as their forces go from strength to strength including King Tigers later in the game.of course there will be a German  Commander needed on this table.
Of course there will be an overall commander for both sides and 3 umpires.
As you might have worked it out a lot of people will end up commanding some force or another depending on how many people play the game.

So i need to know who is likely to want to play next year and what side they would like to be on ? What you could likely provide for that force please ? And other possible forces please ?
As you might have guessed and i can put a good fair few British tanks on the table plus a fair few Germans tanks.
When Les comes up with some maps we can  start arranging scenary. I know i can provide a lot of the houses for Nijmegen.
Miles

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A Bridge Too Far: Planning and Logistics
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2018, 09:39:53 PM »
Miles I have British and US paras plus a couple of towed a/t guns for each
German Infantr, a/t guns, Tigers, Panthers, Pz 4 and 251 half tracks

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2018, 10:39:39 PM »
Miles, I would like to join in the fun please.

I will be painting troops for the event, and had planned to do the Germans I've had kicking around for too long: 2 anti-tanks guns; 3 Stugs; full company of line infantry.

Of course, if you already have oodles of the above, I could do something else instead e.g. US or British paras, as I don't mind which side I'd play on.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2018, 04:04:58 AM »
No thats good Simon even if you were on the Allied side 2 Anti tank guns, 3 Stugs and German infantry company would be all good and welcomed. Once we have a plan of action then more specific weapons will be listed.
Basically what position would you like to hold ?
Do you fancy attacking or mainly defending ?  British, US or German ? 

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2018, 04:26:25 AM »
I have started another listing on here, but it doesn't mean this one is abounded. The new listing is about Planning and Logistics, other queries are dealt with on here.
 This will be a big game and no one person can deal with everything. I have outlined the rough guide of table layout and what each table will require in forces and commanders etc. Who wants to defend ? Who wants to attack ? Who wants to be British,US or German ? I need to have a fairly good idea on these options please ? I ve onlined where we will need commanders for each table. If you fancy one of these i will later give you a more specific detail of what is expected of you.
The obvious ones. Being Guards Armoured commander you have to keep going all game North !!! No stopping ? British Paras will be to keep the baseline open and the ground a head clear, and you will be on your own ? What resources you have thats it for the whole game. You will be under constant attack !
Just to give you an idea? Who fancies what ?
Most of us gave seen the film and a lot of us have read the book ? Of course there are other books out there ? Antony Beevor has just brought out a good one ?
If you can give me a month please ? Once we have got Sq bashing and the Western day out the way, i would have had a good chance to have at least a quick one to one with the main players over the next 2 events. Then we can start working out what we need.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2018, 07:34:22 AM »
Sorry Miles I should have said I can swing with way and fill in where you like.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »
No thats good Simon even if you were on the Allied side 2 Anti tank guns, 3 Stugs and German infantry company would be all good and welcomed. Once we have a plan of action then more specific weapons will be listed.
Basically what position would you like to hold ?
Do you fancy attacking or mainly defending ?  British, US or German ?

Thanks Miles. I'd ideally prefer to play with whatever troops I bring. So, if it's worth my while doing the Germans, I'll "defend" with them (except of course I'd be mostly counter-attacking :) ) . Is that OK?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
Hello Miles

Do consider how much time is needed to fight the tables.
Just some thoughts.
I do suggest that each player only has about a company to command.
A normal game of PBI with a company per side, takes most folk about 3 hours. Two companies will not take 6 hours but will probably need 4 hours or more.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2018, 06:41:14 PM »
I am considering that. Hence why the next month need to talk to people and get some serious organisation going.
But i will say again please put these kind of conversations on the original" a bridge too far"  chat strain. 
Please not on Planning as this chat strain is needed for communication about planning and relevant subjects. Not chit chat