Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Bridge Too Far  (Read 13037 times)

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A Bridge Too Far: Planning and Logistics
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »
How ma y players are we looking at to make the game possible? 
Oosterbeek table:
British Paras 2 players to play them and 2 players to command and attack with 9th SS and local SS and milita units.

Nijmegen:
German 10th SS 2 players to defend against the US 82nd Paras at first, and the eventual might of 30th Corp.
2 players to Attack with 82nd US airborne into the city

Hells Highway:
2 players to command the 101st US airborne
2 players plus to command and move 30 th corps tanks and vehicles
Up to 4 Germans to command various counter attacking units which will include, Armoured Brigades, Paratroopers and various infantry units with interdication and being a general pain and break the route up.

16 players plus overall commanders and umpires.
Is this achievable ? This would be a minimum requirement me thinks ? 

Now the other thing to think of is supplies ? How do we determine that a unit ? A company or platoon? Has used its supplies?
How do we Run Supply Lorries up and down the route to keep these units supplied ?
This is just a thought at the moment but it will be a factor in the game, especially if the Germans cut the road off, as they did for real....

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A Bridge Too Far
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
Here is a rough list of how many people are required and what sort of positions need to be fulfilled as German,US and British players. Wether you need to be mainly defending or attacking ?
 Are you mainly an Attacking player ? Are you mainly Defensive player ? Have you got mainly British, Germans infantry and or tanks from each ?
British Paras and or US Paras ?
What sort of month people would like this to happen next year ? I'm thinking mid May ? Generally Good weather and light mornings and evenings to help people who have to travel distance that day ?

How many players are we looking at to make the game possible? 
Oosterbeek/Arnhem table:
British Paras 2 players to play them which of course they will be mainly defending.
2 players to command and attack with 9th SS and local SS and milita units.

Nijmegen:
German 10th SS 2 players to defend against the US 82nd Paras at first, and the eventual might of 30th Corp.
2 players to Attack with 82nd US airborne into the city

Hells Highway:
2 players to command the 101st US airborne
2 players plus to command and move 30 th corps tanks and vehicles
Up to 4 Germans to command various counter attacking units which will include, Armoured Brigades, Paratroopers and various infantry units with interdication and being a general pain and break the route up.

16 players plus overall commanders and umpires.

So please give me some feedback on here or to my email address. I need to know what is possible and what is not, and try and arrange this when most people will be free and in this country to play the game, as some people will gave to travel distance and even stay down here etc.

Big Mike

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2018, 09:11:21 AM »
Miles,
Good idea to firm up on specified fights now. Miles, I have a British Para Company with 3 X 6Pdrs and will be happy to command these at Oosterbeek.  For the Ardennes game we allocated players to their units, but in this game Miles is giving us the opportunity to choose the ground on which  we fight.
People, please commit to this and give Miles your support. Of course we need a date and cost etc,and life is uncertain but come down off the fence and say yes!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2018, 09:16:22 AM »
So, I'll opt to lead my line Germans (which will force me to paint them up...) on Hells Highway - "being a general pain" probably sums up my preferred mode of operation.

How's that for a specific commitment?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
Brillant Simon.

Miles have you decided on the OB' and particular army lists for the various forces, for each of the fights to reflect the units on the day.

if Simon is going to build a German force for Hell's Highway are they going to be veterans or raw?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
Miles have you asked Mike for the lists that were sent to him when he requested the troops they everyone had available.

That should give a flavour of the forces available and allow you to ask for specific units needed for these scenarios.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2018, 01:36:31 PM »
if Simon is going to build a German force for Hell's Highway are they going to be veterans or raw?

What a great point, Les - the reluctant painter in me is hoping the answer is "veteran" :)

Big Mike

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »
Les, you have just proved you are the top military planner of our time!
Yes I have the lists. Miles they being encrypted as we speak and will be dropped by a Lysander in field near you.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »
Just so long as its a Lysander rather than a V2.

At least its a starting point. As the periods are so cclose, scenery will be a different case as there will be no snow!

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2018, 05:26:54 AM »
 Just to keep you up to date. Myself, Les and Michael have formed a "committee" for ABTF. Now we were going goid until it came to when we should have it ? January is favoured by Les and Michael. Because January isca quiet wargamming month, point taken. Also on the cards for next year is Stewart's Beach Assault game. So to coincide with what Stewart wanted to put on and what Colin and Myself were putting on for a couple of the shows next year. 2019 dates TBC
 Beach Assault game in January 19/20 or 26/27 at Entoyment. 12ft frontage minium 4 players a side. Stewart and myself will come up with OOB for both sides in the next few weeks.
 A Bridge Too Far game in September 21/22 or 28/29. This will by a Mega game. For this event only as it is quite a speacil type of game. Again working OOB will be out in the next few weeks so people know what is required and start generating units.
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2018, 06:06:03 AM »
Thank you, Miles - that's very useful to have these date firming up to be able to plan attendance / painting up the little lead men.

Once we have definitive dates, I'll post them up on the Forum News section.

Thanks too to Mike, Les and Stewart for aiding and abetting Miles - a huge amount of planning must go into these events.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »
We have only just started especially on ABTF ? Thats why we shall get the Beach assault game is first. Stewart has done a lot of the ground work, so its only getting some forces together and things.... i will talk to everyone at Sq Bashing day about what is happening and firm up some other points, which is easier face to face. Once people their know what is happening it will be easier to talk to others and get more on board.
 I know these dates seem a long way away ??? But now is the time to start saying i am washing my hair, grooming the cat or going away on holiday ? Their is enough lead time to tell your partners i am busy that weekend ? Because before too long it will be Xmas you know the rest !!! Because if i dont get anyone telling me why they cant attend any of these dates one from each pair will stand ! I will be firming these dates up within next 4/5/6 weeks ??? Once Entoyment have moved and settled and we can see what space we have etc.
Gentlemen these events will happen its up to you to help make them Good ?....

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »
Miles I have emailed you and Colin the OOB I used for my beach assault.
I hav3 all the troops listed, for the allies I have 1/2 US and 1/2 British so we need to double the forces for a 12ft game with a British beach and a US beach

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2018, 11:17:51 AM »
Miles: thank you for your continued efforts in getting the Arnhem show on the road (and good to see you at the Square Bashing event on Saturday). You asked for us to clarify
force, posture, table and dates (a 2-day event was even mentioned as a possibility). So, to get the ball rolling, here are mine:
  • Force: German Heer (i.e. not SS, but happy to do a raw force if required)
  • Posture: attacking
  • Table: Hell's Highway (i.e. facing off against XXX Corps)
  • Dates: either the weekend of 21/22 or 28/29 September 2019 is currently fine. I have a preference for a Saturday, and would struggle to attend all of a two-day event (which I'm guessing would add a lot of expence all round with additional hosting, hotels etc. for most concerned?)

Big Mike

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »
Miles,
Although I was absent from SB I have confirmed that either of the 2 weekends is fine for me. I have opted to defend with British Airborne at Oosterbeek. However, I can also provide or fight withBritish or German infantry on a different table if required.
Your are right about the time soon going. In the meantime I can get my cat looking smart for it's annual holiday.
Michael