Western Gunfight rules

Started by Moggy, September 14, 2023, 05:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moggy

Hi all

Looking for something quick and fun and stumbled on the thought of the good old western gunfight side of things.  I did pick up Dead Man's hand at Colours as they had a deal running.

Have been looking at some video battle reports to see how they play and this ruleset looks quite fun. Hollywood but fun.

Just watch a good chunk of TooFatLardies What A cowboy battle report. Seem a lot of faffing around to me. What with interupts, then interupts to the interupts etc.

What rules do you use when having something fun like this and why?

Derek

John Watson

I also picked up Dead Mans Hand rules at Newbury.
John

Moggy

Moggy

About the only thing I don't like the look of is the initiative phase. Both players draw a card the the first one to put it on the table goes first.  Fells a bit like playing snap to me.   Maybe it will be different once we get playing.

Derek

Smoking gun

Hi Derek,
I have played both Dead Mans Hand and What a Cowboy. I prefer Dead Mans Hand. As with most skirmish games terrain is very important, you really need a lot and careful placement.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Sean Clark

http://www.fireballforward.com/ruthless.html

These are free. They're the rules used for the Little Wars TV OK Corral episode.

I'll be using them for my western shootout games.

Noggin

I have played both What a Cowboy and Tombstone (Black Scorpion) and I much prefer the latter. Doesn't take long to be familiar with the rules and is a better game if you want to use more figures.

Colonel Kilgore

You may be on the wrong Forum, chaps?  ;)

Simon

martin goddard

Not a real problem. Just a sashay ?

martin :)

martin goddard

A gunfight might be a good setting for a gamette.
A stand up gunfight.

Variables =
Weather (wind, rain, sun, snow)
Weapon (Quality)
Range  (close the range or shoot)
Teamwork (Working as a practised team is better)
Scenario (what is the win criteria for each player)

1-3 figures per player.
Decision making would be  very important.
No/little movement just shooting.

It could use figures from the WESTERN range.

Moggy

Will bring it along in Nov then Martin. Doing it 28mm though. Feel it needs to be bigger than 15mm.  Already working on 2 scratch built buildings. Pics to follow (Hopefully soon, as running out of time before my next hols!)

Derek.

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: martin goddard on September 16, 2023, 06:40:17 PMA gunfight might be a good setting for a gamette.
A stand up gunfight.

Variables =
Weather (wind, rain, sun, snow)
Weapon (Quality)
Range  (close the range or shoot)
Teamwork (Working as a practised team is better)
Scenario (what is the win criteria for each player)

1-3 figures per player.
Decision making would be  very important.
No/little movement just shooting.

It could use figures from the WESTERN range.

Now that's a good idea, Martin, which doesn't involve any more sculpting time!

I initially bought my PP cowboys to play Six Gun Sound, but it had so much of the trendy [?] "friction" between players that I seemed to get stuck in an endless cycle without finishing a turn.

Simon

John Watson

So you are looking at a duel rather than a gunfight. The former is the classic one man at each end of the street and one calls the other out. Fastest on the draw etc.
To me a gunfight involves a lot of manoeuvre, moving from building to building, duck backs, dives, runs, trying to get behind your opponent etc.
I'd prefer the latter.
John

Sean Clark

I have been thinking about a gamette using a grid.

If players had 3 gunfighter each that would be more than a classic High Noon duel.

I was thinking 4 buildings, a couple of fences,  a water trough and a wagon for scenery.

I thought about using the classic 2D6 v 1D6 from AK47 as a shooting mechanic. 

martin goddard

This is about making a simple gamette; at some point. Nothing commercial.

The current gunfight rules on sale are marvellous fun and all based on Hollywood.
Historical gunfights were not so dramatic.

Usually someone shooting someone else in the back from a concealed position.
Not much game interest.

Many  current gunfight sets fall into the magnificent 7 and D+D "traps". ie each figure has an exceptional ability. e.g Knife thrower, lasoo, magic gun, blind shooter.Then the local population lets them smash their way around the town with impunity.

These gunmen did get caught and usually faced summary justice.

Bank robbers etc usually stirred up a hornets test of local opposition. This resulted in a lot of dead folk. The local bank held the money of the local people.

Bigger groups of gunfighters did certainly exist e.g.regulators. These tended to be fairly ordinary men with a keen interest in staying alive. Numbers gave them their strength.

The Hollywood stuff is great but is wandering a long long way from fact.
This suits most and good games are had.  I would prefer a bit of  plausibility. 

I recommend "historical Atlas of the Outlaw West" by Richard Patterson . It details  almost every gunfight  that happened. This book gives a true story. Highly recommended to get your feet back on the ground, if you wish.