Malitania AK47 R

Started by sukhe_bator (Neil), August 10, 2022, 09:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smiley Miley 66

I usually use 0.4 brass as it's the most resilient and springy. Yes a little over scale but these are Wargames models and not going to a Model competition. That's then mounted into an aluminium tube that holds 0.4 rod, so it's a snug fit. I usually allow 5mm into the turret and 2/3/4 mm above the turret so plenty of rod as the Ariel base ?
Like I said slightly over scaled but I ve found it does give them a longer life and resilience.
Miles

Panzer21

As I posted in "fortuitous finds":

For aerials for vehicles, try  searching for "security loops fasteners" the things you get attached to new clothes.

For example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yesallwas-2000Pcs-Security-Plastic-Fastener/dp/B083JWQWF9/ref=asc_df_B083JWQWF9?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79852124627163&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451676864810&psc=1

They come in black as well as white. The end even looks like the base of an aerial. Cut to preferred length.

Neil

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Thank you guys for all your suggestions  :)
I have a bunch of piano wire and brass rod in a variety of sizes from when my local Modelzone closed down  :( . I'm never entirely sure of the precise sizes and am working through all my accumulated scraps etc. for shorter lengths since I don't want to cut down potentially useful spear stock etc. unnecessarily.
I also have some plastic rod that I tried out for making my own Nobori and Sashimono banners. I was considering using that since it was springier (if it doesn't look too thick).
The clothes security tag idea is definitely to file away under 'extremely useful supplies'...

I found this really useful gen on aerial flags on ww2Talk.com
Apparently flags were discontinued from 1942.
This guidance would make pennons in 15mm scale between 3x9mm down to 2x3mm. Overscaling these a tad for WW2 seems sensible. I think I made Medieval lance pennons 3x6mm back in the day. Throwing out the rulebook for AK47 R probably sensible...

"Since 1930 there had been a system of flags to identify commander's vehicles. This was still in use with 7 Armoured Division and its predecessors in 1939 and for some time afterwards.

The 1930 system as used in 1939 was:
Brigade Commander. A plain triangular pennant 12" by 36", in the brigade colour or other colour at the discretion of the commander. Red was the usual colour for the senior brigade. Green for a second brigade.

Armoured Regiment Commander. 18" by 36" rectangular flag in the regimental colour and with the AOS number in white.
Senior regiment red.
2nd regiment yellow.
Junior regiment blue.

Tank Battalion Commander. 18" by 36" rectangular flag in the RTR colours of brown over green over red with the AOS number in white or black.

Armoured Regiment/Tank Battalion Headquarters tanks. As Commander but with HQ in white.

Armoured Squadron Commander. 9" by 18" swallow tail pennant in the squadron colour with squadron letter in white.
A squadron red.
B squadron yellow.
C squadron blue.

Tank Company Commander. 9" by 18" swallow tail pennant in the company colour with company number in white.
1 company red.
2 company yellow.
3 company blue.

Troop Commander. 9" by 12" triangular pennant in black with two coloured stripes in the troop colour.
1 troop red stripes.
2 troop yellow stripes.
3 troop blue stripes.
4 troop green stripes.
5 troop white stripes.

Individual tanks. 9" X 12" triangular pennant in troop colour.
1 troop red.
2 troop yellow.
3 troop blue.
LAD. Blue pennant with red disc.

There were, as always, variations on these.

The recognition pennants remain a mystery. It seems that various numbers of pennants in various colours could be flown at various heights on the aerial. These could be ordered and changed as required.

In 1941 a blue flag could be flown to indicate a friendly vehicle.

There was a comprehensive range of signal flags which could be used to give orders to subordinate units. Most of these were hand held but three were commonly fastened to the aerials.
Rally. Red over white over blue square.
Come On. Green/white diagonal.
Out of action. Red/yellow diagonal."

Neil

sukhe_bator (Neil)

After a long hiatus I have some holiday to finish off those 'too long on the workbench projects'. Apologies for those who have already seen this on the FB forum but I wanted to share this milestone. The concept that first started me on my AK47 journey has reached fruition. Finally, the wreck of the CSS 'Texas' has been uncovered in Malitania. Speculation is rife whether it is full of Confederate gold or an arms cache for the Alfellaga movement... Neil

Colonel Kilgore

That is a lovely model, Neil - well done!

Simon

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Thanks, Simon,
The main armoured sides were some re-tasked scraps of plasticard sheet and batten roofing from my Dad's model railway bits box. The stanchions from the Airfix/Dapol water tank kit, and some scrap plasticard wooden planking. The rest is scrap card, track pins and some scrap chain on a bed of hardboard with expanded poly, filler and scatter material. I'm particularly pleased how the crumpled funnel came out - made from the foil from a (now empty) wine bottle  ;D .

Neil

Colonel Kilgore

The moral here being that scratchbuilders need to drink more foiled wine bottles?  ;)

It's the little details that can often make all the difference on these special template models. Miles has included some nice pipework and valves on some of his WW2 industrial buildings, and the chain on yours is a lovely little touch that adds another dimension to the otherwise largely straight lines.

Simon

sukhe_bator (Neil)

I'm planning a fuel dump/depot objective and some spare brake wheels off the PP flat wagons will come in handy as shut-off valves for pipework.

Neil

Colonel Kilgore

I look forward to seeing how you approach the fuel dump, Neil - these can be handy things for games. Big Mike made a number for the Ardennes mega-game some years ago.

Simon

Smoking gun

Quote from: sukhe_bator (Neil) on April 21, 2024, 08:19:53 AMI'm planning a fuel dump/depot objective and some spare brake wheels off the PP flat wagons will come in handy as shut-off valves for pipework.

Neil

Hi Neil,
That's a good idea using brake wheels as shut off valves. I have used plastic knitting needles (from a charity shop) for pipework.

Best wishes,
Martin from Grimsby

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Since I learned that N or 009 gauge track is the equivalent of RW 3foot gauge (a common narrow gauge) in 15mm, that opens up the possibility of using my small collection of 009 locos and wagons in a 15mm wargaming setting. I'm thinking of reviving my abandoned Mex Rev mine workings and maybe constructing a Mineral quarry objective. It turns out Spanish West Africa/Western Sahara/Mauritania (the region my AK47 'Malitania' is notionally based on) has rich iron ore deposits served by the Mauritania Railway since 1960-63. I do have a German Eggerbahn loco and mineral wagons which could serve as static rolling stock to add colour to a smaller pre-Independence vintage mineral concern run by the Malitanian equivalent of the RW 'Société nationale industrielle et minière' (SNIM) which controls the Mauritanian railway line. I could even roll out my pair of Ruston-Bucyrus steam shovels.  I'm thinking an abandoned slatted timber barn/warehouse structure with tin roof, broken clerestory windows with a rail entrance set into the hillside would fit the bill rather nicely. Time to get whittlin' the ole modelling matches again...! 

Neil

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Considering desert terrain, I am reviving my concept of terrain pieces imitating 'Harrat'. This volcanic lava plateau terrain is like a lunar or martian landscape littered with jagged rocks, stones and boulders. The name is arabic and the largest is a dark basaltic area around W Saudi Arabia. I happened across a WWII map of W Arabia in my work. It marked out harrat as impassable to vehicles and camels alike and pinpointed the only cleared and traversable routes. Only infantry could occupy and traverse it. I would defy any 4x4 to cross. On the table it would act more like a minefield or an area of Dragon's Teeth and could prove an interesting addition. In North Africa and W Sahara it is known as 'Reg' and 'Serir' in E Sahara.
Decades ago I tried simulating it with cork crumbs and lumps sprayed black glued to a terrain base but it was far too 'tame' looking.  Variations on this like the limestone pavements of Derbyshire or the stony deserts of Morocco would be easier to simulate with a wide variety of scatter. Funnily enough now I'm sieving my way through my stock of limestone chippings I have some pretty good candidates for an experiment probably using liberal amounts of bonding material... This img from Wikipedia Commons illustrates one region.

sukhe_bator (Neil)

My 'Alfellaga' are getting more mobile with PP Tuareg camels joining the Minifigs ones I started out with. Some are being modelled sans shields and I've even had a stab at modelling (crudely) some RPG rounds in the javelin cases. I'm seriously considering adding some Dervish rifle armed camels to the mix as well ;D
Apologies for the poor quality of the pic - I was in a bit of a rush

Neil

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Seems like its been a while since I last posted but for the benefit of those who've not yet seen them my Tuareg mobile HMGs or Zamburacks with a brace of BPM DShKs, and a mix of PP gunners, various crew including Tuareg with sitting Colonial desert patrol camels as mounts...

Neil

Sean Clark

BPM = Butlers Printed Miniaures?