Malitania AK47 R

Started by sukhe_bator (Neil), August 10, 2022, 09:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sukhe_bator (Neil)

I've placed my first AK order for a summer painting project... The beginnings of a Warlord force for the (less than) Democratic Republic of Malitania. Now I need some scenery for my Warlord to trundle his T-55 through (or over!). Since I'm taking my inspiration from Mali I thought a new addition to my scenery would be a mud hut village... the historic site of the Malinke people, Kirina seems a suitable subject... another build in styrofoam, card and milliput thatch I'm thinking...

Colonel Kilgore

I thought Peter Pig used to make mud huts like that, but I can't find any on the website today

Am I imagining things?

Simon

Stewart 46A

Hi Simon
They are on the scenery page , under AK47

Stewart

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Great video - I happen to have place mats that I was planning to use for Japanese fencing in much the same way and many spare Woodland Scenics tree armatures I can hopefully now morph into acacia-like trees... Good shout, many thanks, Julian.

While I like the PP round house, I'm blowing much of my budget on mechanised transport for both sides, so will be scratchbuilding the huts... I also particularly like the decorative tops to the thatching. I'll have to revisit my stock of Wills corrugated sheeting...

Neil

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: Stewart 46A on August 10, 2022, 09:40:06 PM
Hi Simon
They are on the scenery page , under AK47

Stewart

Thanks Stewart - I didn't scroll far enough on my phone!

Simon

sukhe_bator (Neil)

My first attempt at modelling round houses start to roll off the production line...
A carved expanded poly core rendered with filler around the walls and dressed with cocktail stick timber work with sculpted Milliput thatch...
The one at the back of the pic shows the stage before 'thatching'.

Neil

sukhe_bator (Neil)

A less labour-intensive bit of desert terrain... light brush screens / hedging that act as wind/sand breaks and keep livestock from straying too far... A Tuareg/Berber version of the non-thorny zariba enclosures found all over Africa.
Made from strands of plumber's sisal glued to small strips of card and then glued into bases with slots made up of styrofoam wedges and filler. The sisal is then roughly trimmed / thinned with a pair of scissors. Just paint groundwork and add scatter to taste...

Neil

sukhe_bator (Neil)

And finally, looking like badly wrapped Viscount biscuits, a w.i.p. shot of a trio of temporary Berber huts or yurts/gers covered in cloth and tarps...
A carved expanded poly core clad in lead foil scraps with cocktail stick timberwork... 

Neil

Colonel Kilgore

Very nice, Neil. I particularly like your round houses.

Maybe you could do a short article for The Mill on how you did the thatching, as that could be relevant for a number of periods?

Simon

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Rolling off the production line - my scratchbuilt Malinke inspired round houses and zariba...
A two tone paint job (paler on the thatching) almost black under the eaves blended into the wall colour followed up with a dark brown ink wash and greyish white / pure white dry brushed highlights...

I noted some houses had small enclosing walls connecting them so coupled a pair with one made from styrofoam with scribed mudbrick detailing. This little detail would make an interesting addition to anyone's table

Neil

Colonel Kilgore

Lovely work, Neil - these look great!

Simon

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Thanks, I'm quite chuffed with the way they turned out.
If you'll forgive the duplication (posted recently on FB) - my only image of all 4 round houses in a suitable vignette

Neil

martin goddard

Smart job Neil.
Do you have some animals too?

martin :)

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Thanks Martin,
I have a full range of assorted livestock and dogs that I plan to add for local colour. Even my Tuareg encampment (under construction) will have a couple of camels parked... :D

Neil

Nick

Very nice. They make for a great looking village template.

Nick