Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seans Weymouth Wargames Weekend Report  (Read 4041 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Seans Weymouth Wargames Weekend Report
« on: November 27, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »
This is a holding post for my report which should be coming tomorrow. Sorry about Paul's ghostly hand waving over the scene in the picture below.  To the left are the German lines with the British attacking from the right. Far more to come!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Seans Weymouth Wargames Weekend Report
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 06:24:43 AM »
Sean,

That's a lovely-looking game: congratulations on the results of all your hard work!

Presumably the full report will be more eye candy and a detailed AAR: perhaps as your competition entry...?

emphatz

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
    • My Blogger Acct
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:59:48 AM »
Looks like a nice set up......Grats

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 10:10:22 AM »
Thanks to all the attendees that made the weekend great with a variety of games.
Special thanks to Sean for all his hard work on his 'Somme' game.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: Seans Weymouth Wargames Weekend Report - Friday.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
I set off for Weymouth a bit earlier than normal. Its just over 200 miles and is around 4 hours of driving,. I normally stop for half an hour along the way, but the last couple of times, leaving at 11ish I have got caught up in the weekend traffic. I left just before 10 on Friday and made it to Weymouth around 2.30pm avoiding any problems.

I checked into the hotel and then had a brisk walk around town before meeting up with the gang just before 6pm. After the usual greetings we all then made our way to an eatery up the road. We all had a good chat before it was down to business.

This was my first game, playing the new Vietnam game with Martin taking the V.C. against Mark and I playing the White Star. We actually played two games, winning the first but a narrow defeat in the second. I think Martins luck changed once Stewart joined him to roll some dice. The new game places an emphasis on the U.S. searching as much as possible and finding caches as opposed to just a body count.

Next to us Les, Chris and Stewart played out a 'Firebase' game. I didn't get chance to play this game over the weekend but will give it a go at home as soon s possible.

In the other room, Rob took on Paul at Regiment of Foote and Mike H ran a game of Longships for Mike C and Miles. Mike H has done a lovely job on his boats in particulalry for this game. He has built some boats that are pulled up onto shoreready for repair or to be pushed out for the next voyage.

Mike's lovely boats.

I retired to bed at around 11.30pm but Mike H, Miles and I think Mark stayed up and played a game of 'Tanks'. Hardcore wargamers to be sure!

Saturday coming up....

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »
Thanks Sean - I particularly like the bespoke Vietnam mat.

And it looks as though the 2p basing for MOCB is now pretty much the de facto standard?

I have gone for rather more, albeit smaller, bases of bamboo and jungle. But, having seen your photos of this game, I wonder whether I shouldn't have kept it simpler - Martin's ones really look great!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: Seans Weymouth Wargames Weekend Report - Saturday
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:48:56 PM »
Saturday came around quickly and a hearty breakfast was enjoyed by those staying at the hotel. The non residents soon arrived and the first games were set up and underway.

Rob and Paul enjoyed a game of AWI using Washingtons Army and Chris' lovely figures. I'm not sure who won but it looked great.

Figures and terrain by Chris. I really enjoy this game and would have loved to play in it but there was so much on offer!

Mike H, Les and Stewart (in his forum T Shirt!) Patrols in the Sudan. I seem to recall both sides had lots of cavalry!

AK47 Reloaded hosted by Miles. Mike C played me. This is a great game but none of us had played in a long time. It took us a couple of turns to get going but it all came flooding back to us in the end and it was a great game. Mike C came out on top. Cheers Miles for the use of your great figure collection.

Saturday afternoon saw Martin take on Les in a ECW battle using Regiment of Foote. This was a popular game over the weekend.

Chris hosted another American battle, this time out west in the ACW. Rob faced off against myself and Chris. We had a great plan at the start of the game to take 2 of the 3 objectives very quickly and then try for the third objective once the first two were secure. As they say, no plan survives contact with the enemy and we struggled to make head way. I graciousley gave Chris the division consisting mainly of raw troops and he did remarkably well but it ended up a win to Rob.

Paul and Mike C played PBI somewhere in the North African desert.

Another view of one of the rooms.

Stewarts Firebase game.

Saturday evening

Les's Pieces of Eight game. I had looked forward to this for some time. It looked great and played out really well. Paul and I battled it out twice, swapping sides after the first game. Paul won both times but I like to think he learned from my mistakes!  ;)

Miles and Mike C played PBI somewhere in North West Europe umpired by Rob. Rob had come down with the lurgy and he appeared to be on his last legs by the end of the game.

Stewarts Bloody Barons game. I didn't see much of this one. I think Mike H played against Miles.

Once the timetables games were complete the hardcore of Mike H, Miles, Paul and myself played a game of desert war PBI. Myself and Mark took 8th Army vs Mike H's lovely DAK helped out by Miles. Mark is somewhat of a PBI veteran and he showed me a few tricks. Mike H produced a bottle of calvados bought over by Les from France. After toasting 'Todays Fox' we got going.

I faded quickly and had to retire to bed at 12.30am. I'm not sure what time the game finished but Mike H and Miles ended up winners. Again great to play with such fine fellows!

This is the only surviving picture prior to any dice being thrown in anger.

Sunday report to come along with a summary of my weekend 'darn sarf'.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »
Super photo report Sean. Obviously using a proper camera?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
Great photos Sean - of some more very nice-looking games!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 09:09:13 AM »
No proper camera, just my phone! Somme battlefield report to follow as well as closing thoughts. ..

emphatz

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
    • My Blogger Acct
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 07:36:18 AM »
Nice pics and lots of good terrain there, cheers for posting

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: Seans Weymouth Wargames Weekend Report - The Somme
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 09:51:37 PM »
So Sunday and my planned 1st Day of the Somme game. Literally everything on the table had been bought and painted for this one game. A bit mad but I thoroughly enjoyed my time.

The trenches and some of the shellholes were all from the excellent http://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/ourshop/cat_288088-15mm-Trenches.html The cloth and other shellholes were from http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/. I painted the cloth in various craft acrylics to resemble the battlefield on the first day. From relatively untouched at the British lines to greatly disturbed ground after the 7 days of bombardment around the German lines and the three villages. The trees were from http://www.tablescape.co.uk/. The Hawthorne mine crater was an old GW crater with added bits of rubbish. The towns were a mix of some MDF ruins from an ebay seller. Other bits were from Ironclad. There is a ruined Peter Pig house just the other side of Thiepval wood.

Of course, all figures are from Peter Pig painted by myself. Most of the paint work was done in the last 4 weeks. Some of the Germans has been started over a year ago but never finished.

As I have said previously the game is heavily influenced by the scenario found at the stormofsteelwargaming.blogspot.co.uk I extended it out to a 6' wide table and increased the sizes of the forces by roughly 50% of those used on the Storm of Steel blog. Mike H, Mike C and Mark took on the unenviable role of the British whilst Rob and Paul sat pretty in their trenches as the Germans. The forces were divided up amongst the players and before you knew it, it was 7.30am on that bright sunny morning on 1st July 1916.

The scene at 7.30am.

The British were given the freedom to play the game out however they wanted. Their objectives were the 3 fortified villages of Serre, Beaumont Hamel and Thiepval as well as the Hawthorne mine crater. After an initial advance all along the line and suffering not inconsiderable losses from German guns and machine guns, the british line began to constrict on itself and probes continued on a narrower front. Beaumont Hamel and the Hawthorne crater became the focus of attention.

This shows the view from behind the British lines as an assault heads towards the Hawthorne crater.

Here is a view down the German frontline trenches from Serre. As can be seen, the German wire was intact. The first British troops have reached the wire but are subjected to artillery barrages and suffer heavy casualties.

A photograph from Serre across to the British lines. The devastation on the village is evident.

An aerial view of a British bombardment off the Hawthorne ridge. Although it looks impressive, few casualties were caused once the smoke had cleared. The Germans were clearly safe in their bunkers 40' underground!

A view back down the line from in front of Thiepval.

Another view from Thiepval towards the main area of fighting.

Several assaults had been beaten back by the Germans, but here we can see one of the few times the German trenches were overrun.

Although not really clear, the British attack has reached Beaumont Hamel. This was the high tide of the British advance. Bapaume was some way off.

Beaumont Hamel is at the centre of the picture and British units can be seen in front of it. Unfortunately the British just couldn't consolidate their gains and had the game continued they would have been froced back towards their starting positions.

The players. I'm third from the right. I have a forum T shirt on underneath my sweatshirt but it was too cold to take my top off!

It was a great game and well worth the effort. Les made the comment that the table demonstarted that you could make a good looking game that used squares for movement. I never doubted it to be honest. I do think its a bit of smoke and mirrors. Using the same paint to paint the trenches and the cloth helped to blend the trench pieces in. The same paint was used to base the figures. I did agonise for a day or so over whether to add flock to the figures bases and gave in in the end. The green certainly brightens up the base.

The game play itself was pretty smooth and I have to thank Rob Roriston for keeping things moving down his end of the table. Rob had a stinking cold but soldiered on regardless.  Thanks Rob! All the players entered into the spirit of the game and there was no moaning at poor dice or bad luck. The British were always in for a tough game. Abwehrslacht, who runs the Storm of Steel blog, had a similar experience. And lets face it, it wouldn't have been much of a recreation if the British just steam rollered across the German lines.

I'll no doubt trot the game out down at the Stoke club in due course and maybe take it to a show. I actually have a few minutes of gameplay on video which should I ever put up onto Youtube, I'll post a link here.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 09:56:17 PM »
Sean,

Great write-up and great photos!

Thanks too for the information on painting, and where you sourced the various bits from - always useful.

Looked great fun.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »
Following the Somme game, I played out a Vietnam game with Les, Miles and Stewart. We played the Montagnard game which was great fun. Basically the Montagnards along with US Special Forces are chasing a VC cell through a valley. The VC aim is to get out of the valley. The mechansims are really clever and the game is frantic. I especially like the firefight mechanisms which keep both players involved.

Well, that was one of the best weekends gaming I have ever had. I took part in 9 games, had a lot of laughs and enjoyed the company of all present. I have come back enthused to paint and game more than ever and the next projects to hit the table are already in preparation.

So thanks in no particular order to Stewart, Mark, Mike H, Mike C, Les, Rob, Paul, Miles, Chris and especially Martin. Without Martin's efforts in making the figures and designing the rules, none of this would happen. A thoroughly nice chap!

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 02:20:54 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics Sean, ready for next year?