Unusual table sizes/shape

Started by martin goddard, August 17, 2017, 09:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

Just a discussion of what table sizes have you met!?
Most gaming takes place on some sort of golden ratio table size.  So what size or shape table have you played on that is unusual.
I carried out a game on a 6foot by 1 foot ACW train game. The game consisted of a 25mm sized western train with carriages and box cars. The off train troops moved relative to the train. The train remained non-moving.
We used to play WRG ancients at a friend's house on an oval table. Deployment  caused opposing flanks to be very close. He should have bought apiece of board!
Have played a few multi table games wherein different bits of the battle were on different tables. Those tended to work very well indeed.
Most ridiculous sized game was a 10x10 pony wars (B troop ain't coming back). Very very difficult to reach the middle!!

Batko

Preferably a 4 x 6 table for me, though the weirdest so far, has been upon an entire door rested atop an oval coffee table. There was usually a mountain covering where the knob used to be.

Colonel Kilgore

I really like the RFCM "dining table" format: 5' x 3' is great.

I personally would struggle to get a 6' x 4' set up, whereas using a table that's already there is ideal. Until folk need to eat before the battle is completed, which is presumably why TV dinners were invented?

martin goddard

"Capture the knob" sounds like a command that might cause embarrassment??

Colonel Kilgore

Or confusion, if there are many fitting that description in the opposing force?

martin goddard

Leman (Andy)

Mostly 6x4, but also 5x3, 4x4, 3x3. Never played a game on an L shape or split board. The last game I played on an 8x6 died of sheer boredom after 12 hours over four sessions. Big definitely is not beautiful in wargaming.

Sean Clark

I saw an ECW game on an oval table at Salute a couple of years ago. Very nice but not practical.

As Simon says, I like the 5x3 or 4x4 game as its very manageable to fit on a dining room table and also populating a table with terrain is a consideration.

Leslie BT

Went with STAB club to Scarborough.

The table we played on consisted of one table 4/0 x16/0, and two tables 6/0 x 16/0. There were 2/0 walk ways between the tables by the game played as if there were no gaps.  It took a while to get used to playing across the gap as it was not there for the game.  Most of the terrain boards were the ones made by Peter Guilder. The sculpture of Hinchcliffe 25mm models.

Also played on really large tables at Colours and Warfare with the 54mm games.

Another great participation game was at Salute in Kensington Town Hall. It was a western game based around Indians chasing and attacking a stagecoach. The game commemorate the black and white movies made in Hollywood. So the whole table terrain and figures was all done in black and white.  Very striking.

mellis1644

Done 12 x 5 foot tables for really big games at cons - but they only work with multi-player bashes.

I'm trying to work out some skirmish stuff on 2'6" x 3' (up to 5') as thats a standard folding table which is common for card games in stores here... We will see how that turns out.

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: mellis1644 on August 18, 2017, 04:44:45 PM
I'm trying to work out some skirmish stuff on 2'6" x 3' (up to 5') as thats a standard folding table which is common for card games in stores here... We will see how that turns out.

That's interesting.

I've often wondered about wallpaper pasting tables (readily available; made to fold up nicely; long but thin....) too.

Leman (Andy)

Several years back I used to use two pasting tables together to give an approx 6x4. Problem was they tended to get a bit saggy, being hardboard, and the legs were also a bit wobbly.

Colonel Kilgore

I did fear that might be a problem.

It somehow seems that they should work, but probably not really designed for the weight of lots of lead figures.,,,

martin goddard

Hey Leman. I know a gamer just like those paste tables.

Batko

Oh, Knob Hill has been fought over before. Nothing too confusing there, except maybe why it's so hotly contested.