Society of Ancients Battle Day 2025 - Maldon 991 AD

Started by Colonel Kilgore, July 11, 2024, 02:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Kilgore

I've just seen on TMP that the 2025 Society of Ancients Battle Day is going to be the Battle of Maldon.

I'm thinking that this could be a great opportunity to showcase the RFCM Wrath of the Vikings rules?

I've not yet found a date or location, but these events generally seem to be held in the Newbury area.

What do we think, chaps?

Simon

martin goddard

I think it is at Madingley hall north east of London.
It wild be nice to go but quite along way to go.

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

Isn't that where the SOA Annual Conference is (in Cambridgeshire) is held, but there's usually a separate annual Battle Day too? Like the Bosworth one we went to at that lovely stately home in Newbury, Martin?

Simon

martin goddard

That would be much easier.
I will have a look.

Nothing visible yet though.

Sean Clark

Colonel Kilgore

Martin Smith

Quote from: Colonel Kilgore on July 11, 2024, 03:40:20 PMIsn't that where the SOA Annual Conference is (in Cambridgeshire) is held, but there's usually a separate annual Battle Day too? Like the Bosworth one we went to at that lovely stately home in Newbury, Martin?

Simon

Correct. The Madingley Hall one is the Convention/Conference, at the end of October, but the Battle Day is usually April +/-, and has been in the Newbury area for a while.
Not sure that Maldon has been finalised (yet). Other options are still being mooted.

martin goddard

We will wait pensively.
Like a crouching stoat?

John Watson

Colonel Kilgore

Panzer21

Quote from: martin goddard on July 12, 2024, 09:22:24 AMWe will wait pensively.
Like a crouching stoat?

Crouching stoat; hidden Badger?

Not quite the same ring to it somehow.....

Neil

Martin Smith

I asked on the SoA Forum, as to whether Maldon was definitely the battle...looks like a strong chance that the TMP post was correct ...replies included:-

" It was my understanding that Maldon was definitely the battle for 2025."

" T'was mine as well. Although I have not seen any official confirmation.
Perhaps an "argument" for making the announcement at the conclusion of the current year's Battle Day?
There was also talk of considering a non-Western battle."

...followed by ....

"Battle Day organiser, Jeremy Giles, has had his hands full recently with getting married and moving house."

So, when I spot an announcement of the 2025 Battleday choice I'll post here (tbh Maldon's a strong possibility - looks like the urge for a NON Europe battle has been put back to 2026).

Colonel Kilgore

Thanks for the update and insight, Martin S!

Simon

martin goddard

Thank you Martin.
Good Recce.
Keep your head down.

Martin Smith

....however, reading the latest Slingshot, there are a few references to Maldon... so, despite a lack of 'official' announcement on the Forum, it looks like a fait accompli (or the Anglo-Saxon equivalent). I'll keep an eye out, while keeping my head down, as ordered 🙂🙃