Weymouth Piggy Weekend 2023

Started by Stewart 46A, October 28, 2023, 01:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Kilgore

I need to put in my order. I tend to "buy ahead" and get stuff when it comes out, so have a lot in my pile already.

But I think I will be getting some Musketeer dead, and some WW1 Dragoons on foot for SB Day next year.

If Martin did a Lee/Grant tank, I'd buy a few of them too :)

Simon

Colonel Kilgore

Well, Martin's not jumped in to sculpt up a Lee/Grant, so I'll turn to the humdrum but vital topic of WWW logistics.

From what time are people planning on arriving on Friday?

Simon

Stewart 46A

Hi Simon,
I plan to be there about 1600 and set the rooms up
And get my party gear ready

Stewart

martin goddard

Is the lee grant for Burma Simon?

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

That was indeed the idea, Martin.

Presumably also usable in the Western Desert? I don't know enough about the various turret combinations but it seems from what I've read that pretty much anything goes.

You could always check in that Airfix Guide you are selling off  ;D

If you could be tempted to sculpt one, I'd commit to buying 6 (i.e. 3 for each theatre).

Simon

Moggy

should be there between 4-5pm I think. Depends on if the Memsahib has any demands before I set out!.

Derek

John Watson

Simon, the 8th Army used the Lee/Grant with the British turret. The Americans used the American turret. In Burma the 14th Army mainly used the American version as they were shipped across the Pacific and were rushed into service without the turret modification. They may have had some British turret versions, I don't know, but all the pictures I have seen are the US version.
John

Colonel Kilgore

Thanks John.

So Martin could hypothetically make one hull and offer it with one of two turrets. And I'd buy 3 of each  :)

Simon

Stewart 46A

Simon
If you want a couple of lees for the weekend I have a couple

Stewart

Colonel Kilgore

Thanks Stewart - this wasn't for the weekend. It's pursuing a cross-thread about what we're pre-ordering for collection there. I'd said that I'd buy some Lee/Grants if Martin made some.

I feel sure we've now almost convinced him that he should  ;D

Simon

martin goddard

Sorry I have taken this chat in a new direction.

I will be there at about 4pm because it gets dark soon after that.
For new attendees do be careful about the gateposts as they still have the metal gate mountings still sticking out.

I will print off  battle sheets for the games that  I think night want them
Do feel welcome to contact me if you wanted a specific battle sheet or play sheets printed.

martin :)

Sean Clark

I'll be there between 4 and 5. I'll probably be in Weymouth a little earlier but it's a little tradition of mine to have an ice cream on the front and a stroll through the town to soak up the atmosphere!

Stewart 46A

Summery of games on offer

Hammerin iron
Pirate land raids
Conquerors & Kings
1/600 WW2 air war
PBI
Washingtons army
Vietnam
Western gun fight
Sq Bashing RCW
SCW
Western game (old west)
Star Wars

Stewart

Colonel Kilgore

That's a pretty impressive list for one weekend. Well done Stewart for organising us!

Simon

Smiley Miley 66

Friday night Hammering Iron.
I ve worked out the 2 fleets, using the Normal rules, but the Attackers are already decided. So the fleets are designed with a slightly better points advantage. As the Confederate's don't have to point up a "Fort" in their points ? The Union don't have to point up a 6th ship ?
CSS Arkansas heads up a Confederate fleet out of the Yazoo.
Confederate will be Attacking, and the Union are defending.
In order of Appearance.

Union Fleet:
USS Carondelet  Ironclad City class.  1260
USS Queen of the West. Wooden Ram.    507
USS Tyler.      Tinclad.            1030
USS Benton.    Ironclad              1495
USS Essex.      Ironclad.            1360
Small Fort 3 x medium guns.            300
                              Total:  5952
Confederate Fleet:
CSS Arkansas.  Ironclad.            1555
CSS General Beauregard. Tinclad Ram.  772
CSS Colonel Lovell.    Tinclad Ram.  726
CSS General Stirling Price Tinclad Ram 870
CSS McRea.      Tinclad Sloop.        728
CSS Tennessee.  Ironclad.            1360
                              Total:  6011

The rest of the game will be as per Rules, might have Two sets of Target ships rather than Target ships and Target Town, but their placing would be same as normal rules ! This would be more representative of the Arkansas attacking the big Union Fleet at Vicksburg ! The Fort will be Representative of the big Union Sloops moored up ?
If we have time we can play the game then swap sides and play again ? Union becomes Confederate and visa Versa ?
Hopefully this negates anyone thinking it's too much oriented one way or another ?
Also a good spread of ships ? I ve Included the Tennessee in as it gives the Confederates another Ironclad, technically speaking it shouldn't be in the game, but if it had been built to the timetable it would've been there ?
Miles