Debriefing of a WW2 battle : Gela, Sicily 1943

Started by Anatoli, September 10, 2023, 08:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatoli

Hi,

We had a game yesterday in our local club (Liffré, Brittany).

The context was the US landing in Gela, Sicily (1943) and the desperate, but nearly successfull, italian counter-attack with obsolete french tanks (R-35).

Here is a video from Mark Felton about this story :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k71newAIQkw

The rules set used was "Groupe Franc", written by Pierre : http://dtf.chatperche.free.fr/Pierre/GFV208.pdf
An update should come soon...

So, US force for this scenario consisted in 2 sections : 1 composed by Rangers and 1 composed by green units. AT weapons consisted in 2 bazookas, as the italian counter-attack came before allied troops could deployed their tanks... So it was a challenge !!

Italian troops were good quality ones.

Players had to capture and secure three objectives.

We played this scenario twice : the first one was a US victory ; the second one was italian...

Here are some pictures of the drama...  ;)

Scenery and italian troops were painted by Pierre ; buildings are Peter Pig ones, Hovell, ... Infantry and tanks : 100% Peter Pig.

Cheers,

Xavier

Colonel Kilgore

Leman (Andy)

Not a period I would play, but the scenic items looked great for Renaissance Italy.

Camulogene

Thanks Xavier,

To complete I would mention Peter Pig scenery from the "pirates" and Mexican ranges, and last but not least, the funny Atlantic planes and landing crafts which are plastic toys from the 70'.
(planes painted by friend Jean-Luc Chaulet)

Pierre

Leman (Andy)

Nick

Fantastic set up.
Thanks for posting all those photos.

regards,
Nick

martin goddard

That is a real winner!
Lovely piece of work .

martin :)  :)

Stewart 46A

Sean Clark

Love it! Great looking game and wonderful pictures. Are the rules grid based?

Anatoli

Thank you very much for your kind comments, gentlemen... ;)

Groupe Franc can be played with or without grid...

We mainly use it with the grid system as we like it and the game proved to be really fluent like this...

With the grid system, a square is 1 UD (UD = distance unit). If you play without a grid, 1 UD can be 10 or 15 cm, as you decide...

This means you can play various scales for a game...

Bases dimensions for troops are free. We usualy use 3x3 cm...

The gameplay works really well as rules are regularly improved, following games...

Daniele

Quote from: Camulogene on September 10, 2023, 11:23:01 AMThanks Xavier,

To complete I would mention Peter Pig scenery from the "pirates" and Mexican ranges, and last but not least, the funny Atlantic planes and landing crafts which are plastic toys from the 70'.
(planes painted by friend Jean-Luc Chaulet)

Pierre
Atlantic, my first love....  :-*