Orcs and Goblins

Started by Paul in NZ, September 07, 2022, 04:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul in NZ

My old Alternative Armies Orcs and Goblins are all the same size, so hard to differentiate between the races, so I was thinking of using the Pendraken 12mm Orcs as possible Goblins.

Side by side they would actually work ok, so the question is should I double the amount of figures per base for the Goblins?  I.e. Orcs are 3-4 per base, where Goblins could be 6-8 per base?

Martin Smith

Extra numbers would give a great 'horde/swarm' effect....👍🏼

Sean Clark

Peter Pig do some Orcs, which might be sufficiently different. But yes, the more the merrier on a base would give that horde effect.

Paul in NZ

I know its been a while, but I keep chipping away at this old project of mine... now have Orcs, Humans, Dwarves,Halflings need to base my Goblins to suit.

Now using PP Orcs to add more upto date Orc figures to the collection.  Just need to repaint a couple of bases where I changed my colours slightly...they dont match now tsk.

Colonel Kilgore

Nice work there, Paul.

Do I spot some Essex Medieval figures in there?

Simon

martin goddard

Marvellous Paul. Keep it up.

There is a correct colour for orcs I am sure?

A helpful chap came up to us at Reading Colours many years ago to tell us that the elvs we make were not authentic. I was very grateful for his input.

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

You raise a good point on accurate colours for Orcs, Martin.

I believe that some of the "alternative history" races depicted in the Lord of the Rings films were actually a different colour from those described in the books. Shocking...

Simon

martin goddard

Maybe a MILL article Paul?

Seriously.

martin :)

Paul in NZ

Yes, this collection started back around 2000, we were collecting to play Lord of the Rings and we discussed whether Orcs were Brown or Green.  D&D say they are Green to Grey, some say a lighter skin tone etc.  I went for Green probably influenced by Warhammer...I may change them a little to a mix of grey, grey/green and palid flesh.  They are also Bald, or have reddish brown to dark grey hair.

Goblins are also coloured from Green to Red, but its fantasy so anything goes...but keen to hear alternatives.

I did have a early Crusades army, but sold off the Selucid and kept these...so I still dip into Essex for some figures, but PP have started appearring as lesser armoured troops i.e using Saxon Levy... plus one unit I'm redoing from the WoTR range.

Happy to help with a MILL article, it has to be better than all my questions published last time :)

Colonel Kilgore

Thanks Paul.

Prior to PP's latest offerings, I think Essex were one of the best out there for Medievals.

Simon

Paul in NZ

I've touched up a few figures, how does this look now?  Some old Alternative Armies and PP figures, I need to redo the basing.

Colonel Kilgore

I think that the green skins and black/silver on the armour fits the films' "look" very well - Peter Jackson would be proud of you!

Simon

Paul in NZ

I actually quite like the mix of greys/greens etc, so will look at the rest and move away from them all being green :)

Paul in NZ

Ok so have gone with German Uniform Green for these Orcs, so a little more grey than green...sorry phone camera! 

Also painted some figures from the WoTR range as the fantasy infantry are a little smaller...so moved them to the second row :)

Colonel Kilgore

Those WOTR front-rankers do look suitably grim and unimaginative!

Simon