Choo choo

Started by Sean Clark, July 12, 2022, 11:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Clark

I think I've had this lying around in my lead pile for over 20 years. Its been through at least 3 house moves, moved from box to box. For some reason I never got around to building it. I think I must have lost the box car somewhere along the way, but other than the light on the front of the train, all the pieces were there.

It's big! Glad I've built. I'll spray it tomorrow and paint it up. Useful for Westerns, Mexico and the American Civil War too!

Colonel Kilgore

You are on a roll, Sean - full steam ahead!

Simon

Sean Clark

A question for Martin, or anyone else in the know.

What are the various wheel like things on the models? Not the wheels that sit on the tracks, but the ones on top of the various carriages.

Panzer21

Colonel Kilgore

I think that Sean's just stuck his wheels in the wrong place  ;) :D ;D

Simon

martin goddard

Neil is correct.
They are brake wheels.

Men were employed to stay on top of the train and do the brakes bit by bit.
Errors might cause derailment. It was a dangerous and vital job.

There are brake men in the train crew pack.

martin :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brakeman

martin goddard

Sean. You might consider mounting the train on pieces of track.  Maybe 8 inches or two car lengths?
That way the train will not fall over. But you need to shuffle the empty and occupied track pieces.
I shall be doing that.

martin :)

sukhe_bator (Neil)

That is quite a good idea there, Martin, given that the higher centre of gravity of the resin castings make the models a bit top heavy.

sukhe_bator (Neil)

Reminds me I need to sculpt that 2-8-0 Consolidated loco for my MexRev. I'm gonna have to wait though until the temp drops so the Milliput stops hardening before I can use it! bad enough the paints are going off so quickly  :(
Good luck with the spraying Sean. Looking forward to seeing that train painted up...

Leman (Andy)

Lovely to see that again. Mine didn't make it across the North sea, but one day I will replace it;one day...............

sukhe_bator (Neil)

New Years resolution for 2023 - I must finish off my Mex Rev railway...

Neil