Group Build #4 - Terrain - Horsa

Started by Traffic, January 20, 2022, 10:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Kilgore

Oh no!

At least we know this is a real life build story - bad stuff happens...

Best of luck with those jeeps until you work up the courage to return to the Horsa!

Simon

Moggy

They sure look the part. Great job there.

Derek

Traffic

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Not a complete disaster. Some scratched paint which hadn't fully cured and the broken off stabilizers.  I decided to get on with the invasion stripes.  Real life size is about 18" which equates to 4.5mm and I had some 5mm tape so enough of a fudge factor not to notice.

The kit doesn't come with decals so I sourced a set off a 1/72 Typhoon IB which are about the right size for a horsa. Dry fit to check and these will be okay once the paint has all fully cured and I get a coat of satin varnish on.

Traffic

Nearly there. In two minds to put this on a base or not.  Decals starting to go on. I need to go back and put a black area over the invasion strips at the rear for the serial number.

Moggy

Wonderful stuff. Real pro quality.

I hope to see DFS 230's for Mussolini's rescue done as a counterpoint to these at some time lol

Derek

Colonel Kilgore

Looking great, Si.

But aren't you going to stick that tail section back on again at some point?  ;D

Simon

Moggy

I think it looks good as it is. Isn't that how they unloaded jeeps and A/T guns etc?

Derek

Traffic

QuoteBut aren't you going to stick that tail section back on again at some point?
The wonders of blutac have already been tested and I can put the two halves back together if needed.

Done for now as I am bored of fixing it.  Serial number to be added and that is about it before it gets a coat of extra matt varnish to seal it all together

Colonel Kilgore

A wonderful little project, despite all the trials and tribulations!

Simon

BeneathALeadMountain

This looks great (your detailed and patient work not the kit so much!). I've considered buying one of those kits (and some wacos) for a while and I'm disappointed with how rough they are (I bought my friend a chinook from the range and it's been "in the workshop" for years now) but I do like what you've achieved, a real project with an excellent on-table presence.

Thank you for posting (I'm currently using your helpful posts to reference to add smocks to my 21st panzer in Normandy)

Andrew
BALM