My first PP pirates

Started by Daniele, November 21, 2021, 11:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking gun

Sean,
I have the first rule set too. I also have two of the SDD resin ships, they aren't in good condition but could be refurbished.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Leslie BT

The SDD ships are great, have a couple to make up.  Had the masts re-welded ready for paint.

Colonel Kilgore

Hobbycraft have the two Revell pirate ships at the lowest price I've seen them:

The Black Pearl at £18.75 (down from £25)
The Ghost Ship at £15 (down from £20).

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/advancedsearchresults.aspx?query=pirate

They're nominally 1:150, but I'm not sure anyone's going to quibble over that.

Simon

Daniele

I had to stop some months with my works but now I'm finally back and I completed another bunch of miniatures. This time we have fierce citizens coming out to face the pirates and some special character too. Next bunch of miniatures will be Governor's troops...I hope you like

Colonel Kilgore

You've brought out the detail of Martin's sculpts very nicely, Daniele - great job!

Simon

martin goddard

Daniele, they have come out well. I see good use of ink there?

martin :)

Anatoli

Very nice painting which highlights the quality of sculpture (and atmosphere !) of these miniatures.

Superb !

Daniele

Yes Martin I used inks to shadow them. I find it's the most rapid way to make it with good results.
The problem with inks is that they can give a dirty look to your miniatures if you don't use them with the right technic.
In addition to this they can also give an unwanted shiny aspect. This happened with the red dress of the blond lady but I could easily correct this by adding a layer of matt clear colour.

Colonel Kilgore

Staining of light colours is what often puts me off using inks on figures (less of an issue on vehicles). I find that brushing on the Army Painter dip - either Light Tone or Strong Tone - gives the shading but with much less staining.

It's obviously shiny (rather more so than many inks) but matt varnish can help here too.

Simon

Smiley Miley 66

Do you mean this box set ?
Still even have the free magazine dated April 1997.
Miles

Daniele

A bunch of spanish Governor's troops.

Colonel Kilgore

They look very nice, Daniele - well done!

Simon

Sean Clark

Love the blue coats with red cuffs. Very striking.

Leman (Andy)

I agree with the others that the ink wash has really brought out the shading on those figures.