My first PP pirates

Started by Daniele, November 21, 2021, 11:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniele

Here's some picture of my first PP pirates' miniatures.
I have been looking after them 15 years to take finally the decision to buy a first bunch...(always involved in other projects).
I hope you like.

Colonel Kilgore

Looking good, Daniele!

Will you be using them for the PP Pieces of Eight game, or do you have other plans in mind?

Simon

Daniele

I'll use for Piece of eights....Julian Bonny, ok, I didn't want to buy it because I already have enough officers, but I'll add to next order the pack with female officers too only to paint Anne Bonny... ;D

Stewart 46A

Very nice Daniele
We played PO8 at the WEYMOUTH games weekend, 2 land raids and 2 sea fight. Good games

Stewart

Bankinista

How about Mary/ Mark Read too? They were both with Calico Jack Rackham at the same time.

Derek

Leman (Andy)

Ha haarrr! and very nice they looks too me hearty. I really like the shading you have achieved on them.

Smoking gun

Hi Daniele,
Those are nicely done and hope you enjoy your PO8 games.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Sean Clark

BeneathALeadMountain

Brilliant stuff Daniele. The perfect mix of colourful but sea worn and scurvy! I have a couple of old 1:100 plastic ship kits in my lead mountain for when the PP pirate bug finally overwhelms me and I give in (I think I'll use the old GW Legends of the High Seas rules).

I showed them to my household expert on all things piratical and he fully approved them.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next,
Andrew

Panzer21

It takes me back to a "big game" I ran with the late Danny O'Hara down in Cornwall .....
Pirates attacking a Spanish port in South America to seize the Spanish gold convoy.

I scratch -built a couple of large ships and a smaller brig(?) As well as contributing another small pirate ship, lots of pirates, Spanish and Hovels town.
Another gamer contributed another 4 ships - all in 15mm. All the pirates were the early Peter Pig as well as some of the Spanish.
We had lots of players, enough for each ship and Spanish governor, so at least 9.
Me and Danny umpired and only discovered half was through the game we were each using a different version of the original Pieces of Eight!
There was lots of mayhem and one of the Spanish managed to convince the governor (played by a younger player) to get the militia to load the gold onto his ship while simultaneously promising a pirate captain he would split it with him! This lead to other pirates accusing him of treachery and attacking him while ignoring the Spaniards! Meanwhile, a couple of other pirate ships set about each other for reasons unknown.
It ended with the Spanish captain sailing off with all the gold unhindered while the pirates engaged in recriminations or attacks on each other...
All great fun and a real spectacle.
Neil

Colonel Kilgore

There is "something" about Pirates, isn't there?

I'd love to get a copy of those rules that used Peter Pig figures and the 15mm ships - was that a Miniature Wargames special? I'm thinking that the Revell Pirates of the Caribbean ships could perhaps be used alongside the current PP range of figures and guns...

Simon

Panzer21

Quote from: Colonel Kilgore on November 24, 2021, 04:31:51 PM
There is "something" about Pirates, isn't there?

I'd love to get a copy of those rules that used Peter Pig figures and the 15mm ships - was that a Miniature Wargames special? I'm thinking that the Revell Pirates of the Caribbean ships could perhaps be used alongside the current PP range of figures and guns...

Simon

It was the early version(s) of the Peter Pig rules which I'm sure were called  "Pieces of Eight"?
Instead of the smaller ships and the figures being separate sea land games, it was all in the same scale.
IIRC the ship moves were a bit odd and I think we changed the rules for that.

My ships were made from blocks of wood shaped at the bow. Wooden dowel masts, wood strips for deck rail. Another piece of wood for raised stern. Lots of miliput for stern decoration and figurehead. Model ship fittings for steps and grilles. Card gun ports.
Could use balsa instead of timber.
Neil

Spartacus

Nice work Daniele. I hope mine come out as well as that.

Sean Clark

I have that first set of Pieces of Eight. If I could source some toy ships cheaply, it would be lovely to give it a go at the next weekender.

Colonel Kilgore

How many ships do you need, Sean?

Stewart has two for the land raid, and I have two in boxes to make up.

Simon