Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Culture Corner  (Read 51 times)

Andoreth

• Domestic Pig
  • We all make our own hells
    • View Profile
Culture Corner
« on: September 10, 2020, 05:09:31 PM »
I love Culture Corner, and this is no way a criticism of Hals and Turner but they have been up for quite a while now and I would  like to suggest a change. In keeping with the idea of paintings linked to wars and militery matters but not simply paintings of battles I would propose; the painting of Sultan Mehmed III from the Topkapi collection, "When did you last see your Father?" by William Frederick Yeames, or Guernica by Picasso.

(Prepares to be told his choice of art is rubbish.)

Andrew

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Corner
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 05:14:31 PM »
I took a while to work out what this post was all about, but now realise that Andrew is referring to the two pieces of art featured on the PP website, https://www.peterpig.co.uk/

Given that Martin presumably had to paint these both from scratch to avoid any intellectual property issues, this is indeed a weighty question.

I quite like Lady's Butler's Charge of the Royal Scots Greys.

Simon

Radar

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
Re: Culture Corner
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »
Agreed, a rotation would be nice. Possibly a naive question - how does displaying art work sit with copyright? I can think of a few galleries which are very protective of the images in their collection.

Guernica would be nice and appropriate, anything relevant for Mexican war?

As for "And when did you last see your father?" horrid Victorian schmaltz  ;). Might I suggest Streeter's plan of Naseby instead? I could photograph my copy of Sturt's* version of Streeter's Plan, so no copyright issues (mine is an original, and I would give permission).

* 1680 post restoration version of Streeter's Plan without portrait lozenge of Fairfax.