Reusing old troops for Peoples' edition

Started by Dex13, September 26, 2024, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex13

Peoples' edition indicates troops and casualty bases need to be recognisable as specific units. Coloured bases and/or labels are suggested.

I want to use my old AK47 figures for the new edition but am wondering how best to update them. Just painting the base edges is one idea, adding specific coloured tufts onto stands another.Short of rebasing, what suggestions do people have for recycling older troops into the newer format?

Identifying unit leaders is another issue. Again, any suggestions for practically updating units to include a leader stand (bearing in mind I have probably forgotten the colours needed to match any new figures to the old)? 

martin goddard

I am using all my old figures. Most are from 1997 edition 1. They just don't wear out. :)
I seem to have lots of spares.

Due to my poor eyesight I now make a bold colour strip across the base for leaders and weapons..
This helps both players.

It might be worth creating some new bases especially for leaders. ie peel them off the old bases and remount on 3x4. The 3x4 is distinct and gives room for a big name stripe.
I have done this for RCL, mortar and MG too.

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: martin goddard on September 27, 2024, 07:50:06 AMIt might be worth creating some new bases especially for leaders. ie peel them off the old bases and remount on 3x4. The 3x4 is distinct and gives room for a big name stripe.
I have done this for RCL, mortar and MG too.

Or just buy more figures, Martin?  ;D

Simon

martin goddard

Sean Clark

My leaders are on 4x3 bases now with a yellow name tag. My generals are also on 4x3's at the moment with a pink name tag but I may rebase them onto 4x4's.

I also need to start colour coding I think. The last game got a bit confusing.

Nick

I created new leader bases on 4 x 3 bases.
I also broke up my RPG bases to mix the figures in with standard foot troops (not necessary I know, but I like a good excuse for re-basing sometimes!)
Otherwise all bases from previous versions have stayed the same.

regards,
Nick

martin goddard

Colonel Kilgore

KevinS

Just a note, as a new member who has been introduced to "AK47" playing classic, this past year, I was to start basing my figures from the old AK47, classic rules. As my collection has increased I have tried to incorporate a mix of bases for the new set: 3x4 for RCL, mortars, mgs, also some of my command bases. The majority of troops are on 3x3 (mostly 3 to each base) except the RPG,s (2 per base), I have now started to paint the rims of the base with unit colours. Also, I have put paper tabs with the name of my general's/leaders and officers, however, I have noticed (it was pointed out to me at the last game) that my labels are up side down🤔.  My next job will be up dating these (not sure yet) to rebase on 3x4, Jury is still out.

martin goddard

The original 3x3 are still fine for the people's  edition no worries.
Players could use other base sizes too if they wish.
The 3x4 bases are there for player clarity. They are easier to see and identify.

Sean Clark

4x3 certainly helps to easily spot heavy weapons. If you don't want to rebate, adding a 3x1 tag to the rear in a nice colour helps.

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: Sean Clark on October 01, 2024, 10:36:40 AM4x3 certainly helps to easily spot heavy weapons. If you don't want to rebate, adding a 3x1 tag to the rear in a nice colour helps.

That's my interim plan, Sean!

Simon

Smoking gun

I have stuck a 3 figure 3x3 base onto a thin card 4x3 cm base. If you use coloured card you don't even have to paint the "tag".

Best wishes,
Martin from a village near Grimsby

Sean Clark

Quote from: Smoking gun on October 01, 2024, 07:38:03 PMI have stuck a 3 figure 3x3 base onto a thin card 4x3 cm base. If you use coloured card you don't even have to paint the "tag".

Best wishes,
Martin from a village near Grimsby

Good thinking!