Skirmish games tend to be one big fight

Started by martin goddard, September 02, 2024, 06:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

Where a skirmish game is player v player they tend to become a single fight/combat. This is often because  one side cannot afford to be weaker at one location(ie split their forces)  as they will quickly become overrun.

Where a skirmish game is players v umpire the game can be happening at several different locations on the table.

Thoughts, preferences  and examples?

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

I have no examples, but the latter seems far preferable and realistic.

Simon

Sean Clark

I don't know of any skirmish games where it's the players v umpire.

Small skirmish games are very much in vogue and I have played several over the last couple of years when I've joined in games put on by others.

One was a Greek hoplite warband game which was OK and the other was a Viking v Saxon affair.

They are are nice as a palate cleanser, but not particularly  as a main course.

John Watson

The players v the umpire is the format used by most, if not all, RPGs. The can be great fun, but rely on the skill and experience of the umpire to tell the tale, lead the players on and moderate the game as and when required.
John

Sean Clark

I hadn't thought of it like that John.

I've played a lot of role playing games and it does meet the criteria, though often it's theatre of the mind stuff rather than figures on a tabletop.

martin goddard

One way to break up a skirmish game from one big bun fight is to make the aim  not merely the "wipe 'em out".
If the victory conditions were various and not easy to achieve by a single "blob" then the figures could use the whole table.

Often skirmish games are there as a backdrop to buying a small amount of lovely figures.
Buying small amount of figures is cheap and easy to paint etc.
The danger is that the games might be repetitive.i.e this is the formula to win.  This is not an issue if the game is only played occasionally.

Some of this is on my mind as the  peninsular siege game  takes shape at a future point (?)

Colonel Kilgore

I think you are very much on the right track with your analysis here, Martin.

Simon

Sean Clark

This becomes more difficult the fewer figures you have. If there are 10 figures in a warband, having 8 of them fighting with 2 going off and doing a mission might be odd.

I'd forgotten about the Penninsular siege idea. I'm still clinging to the hope for a Robin Hood game 😁

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: Sean Clark on September 04, 2024, 11:36:38 AMThis becomes more difficult the fewer figures you have. If there are 10 figures in a warband, having 8 of them fighting with 2 going off and doing a mission might be odd.

I'd forgotten about the Penninsular siege idea. I'm still clinging to the hope for a Robin Hood game 😁

Perhaps with the multiple objectives of rescuing the fair maiden / holding off the Sheriff's men and pillaging the Fat Abbott's wagon, Sean?  :)

Simon

martin goddard

The Robin hood range will still happen.
Obviously there are other things to be done first.

One important  question is whether the Robin hod range should be Hollywood or historical.
I tend toward the Hollywood as the range will not be enough to cover an historical period.

This will be an easy game to make because it can be based on VIETNAM easily (I think).

martin goddard

The Peninsular game would be similar to the Pirate land raid.
Thus, 20 bases per side.
Game played during the chaos of the siege breakthrough to justify all the randoms and wandering about.  I do like the land raid.

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: martin goddard on September 04, 2024, 01:45:26 PMThe Robin hood range will still happen.
Obviously there are other things to be done first.

One important  question is whether the Robin hod range should be Hollywood or historical.
I tend toward the Hollywood as the range will not be enough to cover an historical period.

This will be an easy game to make because it can be based on VIETNAM easily (I think).

I think it has to be Hollywood. The only question being: which actor is chosen to be the model for the great man himself?

Simon

martin goddard

To get the most out of it there should be several Robin Hoods.
The player can write down secretly which one is real.

The game should be more Basil Rathbone and.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Robin_Hood    this one.

A little before the 90th anniversary?

Colonel Kilgore

Well that's sorted the background music when you do your videos for the Robin Hood figures, then Martin  :)

Simon

martin goddard

No mud, all wounds under the arm, stupid Sheriff's men, great monologues, cheering, poor quality disguises, remarkable ambushes , great shooting accuracy, no bad weather, happy peasants....