Naming rules

Started by martin goddard, August 19, 2024, 02:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

Naming rules is always enjoyable I think.

Here are a few rambling thoughts.

Clever/obscure titles are not a good idea. e.g. "The day before the day before"  , "A twinkling in the Fuhrer's eye". OK for titles of novels but not rules.
People will not find these rules with an internet search.

In days of old (1980), most people would find a ruleset by browsing at shows, or seeing other players use those rules.
Now the internet must be considered as a way that folk might  find your ruleset what you wrote.
In addition magazines often promote their "favoured" set.

There were many fewer rules in the old days too. Thus, a recce for Napoleonic rules might find just 6 viable options in the 1970s but 25 viable options in the 2010s.

There has been a  phase and popularity  of  "x"  and "X" titles. e.g "gun and tank" or "red British and blue French".

There have been "humorous/rude" titles, but that does lessen the potential audience. This is because they may consider the rules  of little interest because the namer has shown a "light" attitude."Battles Under Mortars", Ho ho.

Some rules have very factual titles.  e.g "The war between Spain and Ireland 1753 to 1768."

Some rules use an acronym to create/use a new word.  e.g. "War  Hunts At Towcester"

Some rules use an event/place. eg "Chinese Farm" "Sebastopol".

Some rules have a title which is deceptive.  e.g "Viking Battles" (6 figures a side), "Army Commander"(each player has battalion).

AK47 is the current RFCM project.
The full title is AK47 Republic.
The title hints at what war is covered.
I am tempted to call it  "war in Africa.AK47. " so that searches find it more easily.

Your general thoughts on rule names/titles ?

martin :)

Smiley Miley 66

I like AK Republic, its title is on the tin.
Republics won with the AK 47.
Miles

Sean Clark

Always a tricky one. Something catchy but obvious. 

I'm not a fan of acronyms spelling rude words. Too formulaic for me.

Down the years there have been classics that have really stuck in the mindset.

In the Grand Manner
Principles of War
Rapid Fire
Sword and the Flame
Flames of War

Most of these  sure we all know. Capturing the feeling with a title is hard.

I could add any of the RFCM titles I think. Certainly Square Bashing amd AK47 I think are very well known outside of the forum.

martin goddard

There can also be a problem with over used (?) words, causing rule sets to be mixed up.

e.g Battle.  Goes back to the Charles Grant rules and keeps coming up in various combinations.
e.g. Fire
e.g Panzer
e.g. Blitz
e.g Napoleon

Each of these words will attract the attention of gamers I think.  Hence their use.

John Watson

To keep things in balance, as we are told we should these days, the new rules should be called M16. Sounds like a motorway spur just north of Cleethorpes.
John

martin goddard

Ah yes.

The ACW; "the late unpleasantness"
"Special military operation"

Forst22

AK47 - beyond Republics

AK47 - the Lion sleeps tonight

AK47 - Our Africa

Dex13

I still think AK74 or AKM are logical progressions for the current iteration.

I know why you would want to focus on Africa but the game and system can apply to far more than that. Banana Republics (other fruits are available) in South American are a classic alternative.

Colonel Kilgore

I'd forgotten about the AKM, until I saw one in a museum earlier today. It was actually a Hungarian AK63, but close enough.

That said, I think the term "AK47" is so well known (even if equally widely abused, like all British Battle of Britain fighters being Spitfires, and all German Late War tanks being Tigers) that it should remain in the rule name.

A secondary tag could work well - has someone already suggested something like "AK47 Republic - the Dictators' Edition"?

Simon

martin goddard

I might do a range of covers?
Players can choose the one they like

John Watson

AK47 "Banana Republic" edition
AK47 "Idi gettin' it in for de masses at a very reasonable price an' not making killin' in de market, or anywhere else for dat matter" edition
AK47 "King of Scotland" edition
AK47 "Wagner Group" special
Just a few suggestions
John

martin goddard

Excellent chaps. Thanks.
I do like the king of Scotland

Leman (Andy)

A set of rules that has an obscure title is Force of Virtue, which actually derives from a mechanism within the rules, but gives no clue that it is a set of skirmish rules set in the Italian Wars, particularly at the time of the Borgias, 1492 to 1503.

mellis1644

Speaking of bad names the ww2 game 'V for victory'- which is actually '5 for victory' is oddly named IMO...

martin goddard

Maybe it is a 5 a side game?