On a jet plane

Started by martin goddard, August 09, 2024, 12:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

Similar to my post about minefields, what about air strikes?

I have bought a 1/100th Super Mystere by Heller as a general attack plane.

What aeroplanes, both prop and jet,  might fit the 1960-80 airstrike?

martin :)

Dex13

Hawker Hunters?

I've traditionally used 1/144th scale planes as airstrike markers as, being smaller, they are obviously further away; Father Dougall excepted...

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: Dex13 on August 09, 2024, 05:38:50 PMHawker Hunters?

I've traditionally used 1/144th scale planes as airstrike markers as, being smaller, they are obviously further away; Father Dougall excepted...

Funny you should say that - I was looking at the Revell 1/144 Hawker Hunter in Hobbycraft last weekend, wondering if it would be good for AK47:

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/revell-hawker-hunter-fga.9-model-kit-1-144/6620681000.html

Simon

simmo

MFI-9Bs as used by the Biafran airforce. I wonder what the camouflage colours they were painted. I have got some similar looking aircraft which came with my Heljan aircraft hanger.

Martyn S

KevinS

In reply to the enquiry of aircraft 1960-1980's a number of Russian Mig15-21 were used by a number of African nations. Also, a number of British aircraft's from 1960-1980's such as: Canberra, Hawker Hunters,vampires, jet provest (mostly trainers) BEA E5-6 lightings. I have a model's of Mig 17 and Hawker hunter, but hopefully will include a few helicopters, Wessex,Cobra and possibly Russian of sort.

Dex13

Quote from: Colonel Kilgore on August 09, 2024, 06:56:26 PM
Quote from: Dex13 on August 09, 2024, 05:38:50 PMHawker Hunters?

Funny you should say that - I was looking at the Revell 1/144 Hawker Hunter in Hobbycraft last weekend, wondering if it would be good for AK47:

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/revell-hawker-hunter-fga.9-model-kit-1-144/6620681000.html

Simon

It's a lovely little kit. Planes of that era are just gorgeous.

martin goddard

Maybe some ex WW2 planes. ME262?
Also the big US fighters  wildcat?
Tamiya did a lighting?
I will go Searching.

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

John Watson

Panzer21

You are going to be limited by scale; if 1:144 there are lots and lots of options.
If you want 1:100 it's more limited.
Mig21, Mig15 (rare as plastic but diecasts exist)
Mirage, Mystere, etc various French 1960s done by Heller

Tamiya had a range, then there are resin.

Cost is a factor - a lot of kits are rare and CAN command silly money - kits are old and sometime very crude. Diecast, very heavy for stands.

Neil

Bankinista

I've got a feeling that this list has been posted on the site before. If so, apologies. However I hope it's of some use.

Derek of Cambridge

You cannot view this attachment.

Sean Clark

There are likely 3D print options out there too. Maybe 3DBen has some knowledge?

Panzer21

Quote from: Bankinista on August 10, 2024, 10:24:34 AMI've got a feeling that this list has been posted on the site before. If so, apologies. However I hope it's of some use.

Derek of Cambridge

You cannot view this attachment.

It's worth pointing out that the vast majority are the same kits marketed under different brands. They are also early models; some details are crude or inaccurate, especially things like pilot figures.

Old Glory and QRF used to do resin aircraft and helicopters in 1/100th.

3D printed are available, but could get expensive. One of the cheaper producers:

https://www.butlersprintedmodels.co.uk/15mm/post-ww2/soviet/aircraft

Neil