Game 3 of AK47 PE (version G)

Started by Sean Clark, July 15, 2024, 06:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Clark

I played Ade today.

I defended with Mercenary Core with 2 professional and 1 regular unit against Ades Communist Supported army with 2 regular and 1 militia.  I had a helicopter he had tanks.

Ended as a draw. The scenery ended up slightly odd with a large open side (apart from partials) and a lot of templates on the table sides.

Ade enjoyed it but felt a bit like a 'land grab' in the last couple of turns as bases ran to various points so as to maximise the scenery points.

I wonder if the depression template is too good. We had 3 on the table and units sat quite comfortably  inside them waiting their chance to jump out and assault. Of course Artillery or aircraft plus mortars can deal with troops in depressi9ns quote nicely. Maybe try 0-1? Also, how about a rough ground template slow to move through and no cover?

I had no vehicles so Ade thought his heavy armour wasn't good value. Especially when my helicopter blew one up 😂

Sean Clark

martin goddard

I particularly like the depression templates. Yours?

Maybe more templates are needed so that scenery touches each other and gives paths of advance. Scenery might be too isolated, with moves being  risky/unwise?

One touch spreads the scenery out.

How about 6 or even 7 (SCW is 8) pieces per player?
Then no more than 3 in a pattern to help spread. 
ie if three pieces are touching, a set is complete. Single or doubles are still allowed.
This makes the total rise from 10 to 12 or even 14 out of 60 table squares.. A small change.

martin :)

Hman

Hi are the 'partials' indicated by the small bushes?

Howard

Sean Clark

yes they're bits of aquarium plant. They're easy to use bt far more creative pieces could be used. You do need 16 of them though  :)

Sean Clark

Yes the depression templates are made by me.

Moggy

I agree. I feel the table is a little too empty. Of course I don't want to fill it to much either. The only way to find the right balance numerically is to try it out with 1 more template each, then another. I do feel that SCW with 8 pieces each is too much so perhaps 7 would be a good number. 

Also thinkin the terms of should someone play a cavalry army! That ability they have to remove a number of templates after the template movement is done could be huge. Perhaps this should be dice driven and they have 3 dice to place to attempt removal rather than a guarantee.  Has anyone tried a Cav Army yet?

I also agree with your comment about depressions. They should be restricted to a max of 2 on the table. with an inclusion of some rough ground/swamp.

Derek

Colonel Kilgore

Nice photos and write-up, Sean!

Simon

martin goddard

Depressions. They look very good  Sean. Good job. Plenty of space for the bases too.
Four depressions seems fine. Both players obviously wanted the maximum on the table. Hence they both chose the maximum.

Number of templates
We will try some  more scenery templates. Maybe 5 per player. The voiced idea for rough ground  could be added too.

More templates will need a new restriction to placement. The one touch would not work properly with 12 pieces.
The combination of "one touch" and "no berthing" cannot be made more complex. Players will find it too tricky.

Here is a single rule to use with 12,14 scnery template total.

No template may have its entire long edge touching other templates.

This will ensure spacing and "jaggedness".
I can do some examples.

I will see if the chaps will try it tonight?

Nick

I'll add to the request for inclusion of rough ground templates please.

regards,
Nick

martin goddard

I assume by "rough ground" we all mean bad for movement but no  cover and no partials allowed to be placed on it?

Colonel Kilgore

That's how I'd see it, Martin  :)

Simon

Nick

Sean Clark

Yes so it's difficult ground that gives no cover.

So some crops, a swamp, marsh or just a bit of rocky ground that's difficult to move over. 

martin goddard

Thanks for the thinks.

Here is what I will put in.

1. Rough ground with no cover
2. 6 templates per player
3. Touching will be "not both edge squares"
4. Fall back rules clarifications.