PBI Jungle day

Started by martin goddard, April 28, 2024, 06:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

Hello PBI players
Here are some pictures of the Entoyment 28th April meeting.  Jungle thme

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

Nice looking games - well done all who were able to make it.

Simon

martin goddard

There was a good turnout.
Sean traeled teh furheest.

Derek
John
Eric
Miles
Jim
Richard
Sean
martin

Colin and Chris wafted by.
Thanks to all the above for coming along.

Sean Clark

Loved it. Nice to get back down with the crowd and roll some dice.

Apologies  to James for having such hot dice in my second game!

PBI seems to running very smoothly. The jungle theme was interesting with so many infantry on the table. Had a very different feel to 1944 Normandy for some reason.

I'm now going to get some early war French or British I think as a little retirement present.

Hopefully back down for the D Day day.

Sean Clark

Colonel Kilgore

Very nice, Sean. I'm glad you were able to come out and play today.

I particularly like the low-angle shots - down with the troops.

Not so sure about the family snap (?) at the end?!  :D

Simon

John Watson

I'm glad your dice warmed up for the second game Sean. They were certainly sub standard in the game against me. Good to see you again Sean.
John

Sean Clark

Thanks John. I don't like to blame doce...but they were a bit rubbish. Glad I stuck with them rather than swapping them in the afternoon as it proved they weren't jinxed.

Apologies for the old family photo. Gone now! 😂

Smiley Miley 66

Very good day yesterday, old and new faces to be had.
I didn't realise the rules had changed for Vets and Raw as much as they did until yesterday ?
Wow the vets can now have upto 8 Action points if the person keeps rolling good dice !
Must admit I didn't find the Raw difference quite so bad as I first thought ! Rolling the dice and adjusting it there and then for each square as you do anyway, didn't make so hard to swallow !
It was just looking at your opponents 6-7-8s all the time from Veterans is a bit hard to swallow !
So lost the first game.
Def Raw British v Vet Japanese. Lose for Defenders
Att Ave British v Ave Japanese. Draw. Which I was surprised about ! Lots of dead Jap bases and having one objective gave my side an unexpected draw.
John put me in as an attacker, luckily I got over the 23 point marker ? Which with my 3 25pdrs was a defensive force, but that was deliberate on Johns part.
Both of our on table guns were a bit useless to be honest, my MMG platoon was reasonably useful as a nuisance factor rather than devastating as they should have been ? 30-40 dice at one square and one causality!
But 2 good games.
My feeling and a couple others at the moment is the Veterans AP points can be a be high ? With good dice rolls ?
Thanks to Sean for taking pictures.
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

Miles,

Can you explain your comment about "up to 8 Action Points for Veterans", please? I'm a bit confused about that one.

Thanks,

Simon

Sean Clark

It is if you have a company Commander in the square  with your platoon Commander when he rolls for AP?

John Watson

Two very good games. For once my planning paid off. Using terrain that gave fields of fire and placing them correctly meant that I could use the Japanese knee mortars to good effect. Miles correctly spotted that I made his largely defensive force attack. He was unlucky that his right flank platoon found a gully and decided to have an extended tea break before they finally assaulted way too late the make a difference. If they had got going earlier he may well have won.
The 8 points for veteran AP comes about if the CC is with the square and you roll a 6. So die roll 6 pus 1 for CC present plus 1 for veteran. To be honest it often resulted in wasted points, but at times it could be handy to have so many. More importantly, I think, is that veterans rarely got stuck with very poor AP.
John

Colonel Kilgore

John and Sean - thanks for clarifying. I rarely play with Veterans, so hadn't thought of that scenario!

Simon

martin goddard

If your opponent was getting 6-7-8 all the time then that is probably very unusual luck.
Sometimes players do get lucky.

Was he using the company commander correctly?
Sounds like he was using it for multiple platoons in the same turn.
That is not allowed. Always new stuff to learn in PBI. :)

Sounds like you were beaten by the dice and not tactics Miles.
It can happen, although consistent 6,7,8 has never happened in games I have played.