Ken Burns

Started by Sean Clark, April 17, 2024, 08:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Clark

Ken Burns is famous for his ground breaking Civil War documentary  from the late 1980s. His Vietnam documentary from a couple of years ago was equally as good.

He's done many others but the Civil War won many awards and I must have watched it countless times. The voice overs in particularly are incredibly evocative. 

He is now giving a similar treatment to the American War of Independence due to be released next year. I anticipate a huge upsurge in AWI gaming.

Who remembers the Washington's Army play test day at the pub in Yeovil? I really enjoyed the development of them rules. Stewart always seemed to manage to outflank me.

mellis1644

I wonder how much spin it may have though. I hope it's not just a ra-ra items. Just listened to 'the rest is history' podcast on the subject and their take was interesting... It's not surprising how similar in some ways the AWI matches Vietnam in the challenges for both sides.

martin goddard

I remember the play test day.  West Coker , something or other? 

We have had some great club meets and battles  there.

martin :)

Sean Clark

Yes it was West Coker. A chap there recommended the book Almost a Miracle which I think is one of the best one volume books on the war.

Sean Clark

Quote from: mellis1644 on April 17, 2024, 04:50:45 PMI wonder how much spin it may have though. I hope it's not just a ra-ra items. Just listened to 'the rest is history' podcast on the subject and their take was interesting... It's not surprising how similar in some ways the AWI matches Vietnam in the challenges for both sides.

The only issue with the Civil War was Shelby Footes hero worship of Bedford Forest.

martin goddard

Thanks Sean.  I get West Coker mixed up with Paul Coaker.

martin :)

Sean Clark