Last Jobs of the year

Started by martin goddard, December 06, 2023, 07:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

What wargames stuff "must" you get done by December 31st?
Claerouts, buying, painting, rules,  promises?

martin ???

Colonel Kilgore

Well I've already made my list of things that I plan to do next year.

The main question is: how many of them will I actually get done?

Closely followed by: what will distract me along the way?

But in a way that is part of the fascination of the hobby - always something new (I blame Martin) to tickle one's fancy.

Simon

Martin Smith

I made myself a list of twelve 'to do' items for 2023, many of which I've cleared... It was a self imposed target, or rather a 'focusing of attention' project:- nine are done, but one of the remaining is to finish a Palmyran army refurb. It was second hand figures in need of serious TLC, bought in a jumbled box, needing new spears, repainting and rebasing (I'm about 3/4 of the way through them).

Leman (Andy)

No list as such, but will try to box off the Union 3mm army for Shiloh, then give it a rest and finish off my Nachod 1866 project. Confederates in the new year.

Sean Clark

I'd really like to get my Ancient Germans done. My pirates are all painted now but require their bases to be finished. I'm still undedcided on my Christmasd present to myself, but it'll be two opposing PBI armies. I must also finish my Samurai for Age of War, but I suspect that will come in the new year now.

Smoking gun

I have to order some Christmas presents for myself, from family. An order to Peter Pig will be make by the end of this week.

Opportunities to model are getting rarer as the holiday approaches and I'm being made to be sociable. ;)

Best wishes, Martin from Grimsby

Sean Clark

Quote from: Smoking gun on December 06, 2023, 07:00:55 PMOpportunities to model are getting rarer as the holiday approaches and I'm being made to be sociable. ;)

Best wishes, Martin from Grimsby

It's ironic that the free time I get over Christmas, which is there to be enjoyed demands that I spend time with others when what I really want is to sit painting my little men and playing wargames.

martin goddard

With these "must get done" tasks.
Starting is often the hardest bit. ie opening those odd boxes and assembling the paints and wire etc,
A problem might be that once started you want to spend the full two days getting it done.

The best outcome is often getting something done in time for a game and getting that great enjoyment from using the new unit or model.

It is often  the getting lots of use that makes the big reward.
I have done units in the past, not used them and had to organise a game to get them into action.

Sometimes I buy things for a possible future project which can often never happen.  There is joy in the planning and preparation though  (I think?).

I suspect most of us only have another two or three  games maximum before Christmas day?
Let us know if you have more planned and we will all be a bit jealous.

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

I agree, Martin - I do find that deadlines do focus the mind and can add to the joy when using them at an event you've been looking forward to playing at.

Simon

Wardy64

Some Amphibious warfare for a WW2 game.

Ben & Dave

Colonel Kilgore

I don't see how you can possibly play a game with so few landing craft, Dave  ;D

Simon

Wardy64

You know what FOW is like Simon, car/boat parking ;)

D&B

martin goddard

Ambitious, amphibious and awesome?

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: Wardy64 on December 07, 2023, 11:39:43 AMYou know what FOW is like Simon, car/boat parking ;)

D&B

It's one long pontoon bridge, right?  ;D

Simon

Wardy64

Going for a marina, so I can sit and admire it with a gin.

D&B