Flamers

Started by martin goddard, December 01, 2023, 09:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

I used 2 flamers in Stewart and my EW Germans.

They did spectacularly well. Most embarrassing.

They rolled high for movement.
The saved against all opportunity shooting even when on their own.

Their shooting was equally weird.
They shot in total about 5 times. In no handful of 8D6 did they even ge a single 6.
This meant that the 1 scores outnumbered the 6 scores. This forced the target squares back. It also pinned them.

This all seemed a bit too good but as said the D6 were very strange.
This needs more playing, as I suspect this game was unusual?

martin :)

Smiley Miley 66

I think we have done the Factory game 4 times with the Crocodiles and most times, when playing the proper game with all the troop and tanks. I found more scores of "1s" rather than having "6's". So forcing the opponents out of the Square. I ve always said that to actually score a "6" and get a successful burn as the saving roll comes next is very very seldom.
Mathematically the chances might sound high, but most of us find the results are very different! The scores of "1" I think give a better reality ? In the occupants would flee rather than burn ?
Could you make "their pin" last one turn only like the pin result in Mexico ?
Miles

martin goddard

Yes Miles good thoughts.
I might get rid of the pin result.

Benslie

Like you say, needs more testing, but i did find the pinning really limited any chance at retaliation that game, although i think i really struggled to get rid of it? can't remember properly.

Ben

Colonel Kilgore

Thinking more about this, who would hunker down rather than run away when faced by a flamethrower, assuming that the latter is a feasible course of action?

I like the way this conversation is going. I think a "one-turn only" pin could be difficult to manage in PBI as an exception from the norm.

Simon

Smiley Miley 66

But it's not impossible as it is in the Mexico game ?
An option is they might go 1-2-3 squares depending on where the first cover or their own troops are ?
Miles

martin goddard

Blinded by the light Ben?

We will try without the pin to give the targets chance to run away or fight back?

Smiley Miley 66

Here is a couple of excerpts from that paper that talks about Flammers vehicles. How they were meant to be mainly used to evict rather than kill if I ve read it correctly ? But they could get a bit over zealous !
Miles