Transports over view

Started by martin goddard, October 20, 2023, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

Transports
Just some notes for any transport user on Saturday

•   Use the higher of 2D6. No modifiers applied.
•   Transports are independent in any turn they drop off  foot bases. Each transport and passengers is carried out before the next. This would allow 1 set of passengers to remove a casualty and then another transport to remove another casualty.
•   Transport MGs. Shoot twice without paying any AP.
•   Transport MGs range 3 squares.
•   Transports are allowed opportunity shooting.
•   Transport MGs are not allowed  return shooting.
•   All units must be in transports or none.
•   Companies using transports must arrive in transports.
•   Foot bases that get out of a transport cannot claim short assault that turn.
•   In every turn after that in which the foot bases exit A transport moves up to 1 square to any proximity square. It also has 2AP for MG shooting.
•   Any transport that becomes +damaged /rattled is destroyed.

Costs
Transport points
•   This is the cost per vehicle and any mounted MG. 
•   All half-tracks are armoured. 
•   All wheeled vehicles are un-armoured.
•   Transports are always average quality.
•   Transport MGs are grouped as one type. LMG. There are no adjustments for BAR, MG34 etc.

Half-track no MG   5   
Half-track with mounted MG 8   

Wheeled, no MG   3   
Wheeled with mounted MG  5

martin :)    

Stewart 46A

Thanks Martin

in time will you designate which forces may use trasports?

Stewart

martin goddard

martin goddard

I have reduced the cost of half tracks with MGs from 10 to 8.
An mG half track is very useful but it mostly limits the  company to 4 units.

e.g.
German infantry company.

PC(rifle) =9
3 LMGs= 42
6 rifles=36
bazooka=10
3  1/2 tracks MG= 24
TOTAL= 121

3 platoons = 363  which leaves 27 points.
Enough for a pair of armoured cars ora single tank?

These platoons with their half tracks are very powerful but the force has 3 good and 1 poor unit.

If the 1/2 tracks were any cheaper they would become too popular and be a game changer.

This needs a good test.

Colonel Kilgore

Thanks for sharing your thinking, Martin.

Half-tracks at 8 points sound like quite a cheap way of getting a fair amount of firepower.

Maybe some tweaking of Victory Points for destroyed half-tracks would help balance things?

I look forward to the results of the testing. As well as to the delivery of a company's worth of halftracks that I have ordered 😀

Simon

Sean Clark

I'll interested to hear how a company like this works out in testing. I've a 1940 Pz Grenadier company in half tracks nearly finished. Are 4 units enough to attack with?

Nigel_s

It's still a transport though. So limited in number of shots and range. Easy to kill even with small arms, and costs VPs if destroyed.

Used transports a lot in last weeks test games. In one game my mate brought a German platoon mounted in three halftracks, he lost all of them coz he kept them in the fight. In another my Russian engineers arrived in mg armed halftrack. The transports got one round of mg shots off in support of the engineers and then buggered off.

martin goddard

It is going to be a bit challenging to get it "right".
I hope we are getting closer.
Nigel's experience sounds close to what is aimed for.

The work needs to make transports cheap enough for a player to have a an effective force yet not allow the transports to bestow a big advantage for the points spent.

I think we can do it (?)

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: martin goddard on October 26, 2023, 07:44:47 AMIt is going to be a bit challenging to get it "right".
I hope we are getting closer.
Nigel's experience sounds close to what is aimed for.

The work needs to make transports cheap enough for a player to have a an effective force yet not allow the transports to bestow a big advantage for the points spent.

I think we can do it (?)

I have faith that you can, Martin :)

Simon

martin goddard

Thanks Simon.

The flip is that a couple of tanks can run amok amongst transports.
Should players announce they are using motorised any thus allow the opponet to get tanks in to their army??

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: martin goddard on October 26, 2023, 09:02:31 PMThanks Simon.

The flip is that a couple of tanks can run amok amongst transports.
Should players announce they are using motorised any thus allow the opponet to get tanks in to their army??

That would probably open a can of worms about else one might be asked to declare!

Maybe one to think about further down the track e.g. if you want to provide guidance on competition play?

Simon

martin goddard

Indeed a tricky issue Simon.
I would like it possible for players to be surprised by their opponent's exact units but not by their company type.

e.g.I hereby declare that I martin will on the third day of November be using a Japanese island warfare company. Further to this I wish to make it clear that the constituent parts thereof will not be revealed until the time of that very engagement.

Too pompous?

martin ???

Colonel Kilgore

Isn't that how you usually speak  Martin?  ;D

And I agree - declaring the company type should be enough. Up to each player to then tune their force accordingly.

Simon

Smiley Miley 66

After WWW I was going to ask about Bren gun carriers ? But unfortunately other things came into the front line ?
Right I need to ask about ( not just British) Bren gun carriers as the Commonwealth, Canada especially and Russia as well as the British used these vehicles.
How they would be used ?
It has been said before 2 Brens would be one vehicle ?
Also a lot references I ve read only refer to these being put into Sections within a transport platoon rather than a full platoon on their own ? With H/T and light weight vehicles mixed in ?
So how will these be used ? Any differently to how the Hanomags were in that game on the Sunday ?
Because I ve bought a few Bren carriers but as yet put them together?
Miles

Smiley Miley 66