Non conformst companies

Started by martin goddard, September 27, 2023, 02:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

These companies will be mainly raw with a few average ones.

The overall intention is not to make them as good as German, British or US type companies. They never were and should not be. Such companies would be able to put up a good fight if the opponent was badly prepared or surprised tactically. This having been said, we still want them to be a viable option? Most likely a second or further army for a player who already owns a regular company but is a risk taker (mad man?).

The non conformist (another better title will emerge I am sure.....bad company?) 

The main  differences for these companies are:-

1. Restriction  on support armour and gun units.
2. Restriction on quality.
3. After normal 5 (average) or 6 (raw) units the extra units are "Jack in the box".
4. Jack in the box (JIB) units can arrive one per turn as a complete blob anywhere on the table periphery (no arrival  D6 need. NO DEVIATION).jack in the box does not interfere with normal off table and arrival rules. They are EXTRAs.
5.2 Extra victory points per jack in the box unit.  e.g 3 jack in the box = 6 extra victory points.
6. If a company complies with the non conformist conditions it can be non conformist.
7. After 5 units extra units are JIB.

martin ???

martin goddard

French resistance company. The high hills (Vercors).

CC
7 foot platoons. Each of  PC(SMG), 2 LMGs, 7 Rifles + 2 improvised AT(1 point each)=10 bases.
MMG support platoon. PC rifle, 2 MMG,3 rifles.
Mortar platoon. PC rifle, 2 mortars, 4 rifles.

Total 402 points.
84 bases!

This gives 9 raw units. 4 are JIB.

martin ???

martin goddard

British Home guard 1941

Unit 1 = 3 x 25pdr average guns. 54 points

7 Platoons
Each of:-
PC with rifle
7 rifles
2 LMG
(2 satchel charges)
Total 47 points

383 points + 4 more rifle (16 points) bases scattered amongst the platoons.
Total 8 Units.
3 JIB.

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

Should boost figure sales, Martin  ;)

Simon

John Watson

Is point 7 necessary when you have point 3?
Would I be right in thinking that if a potentially non conformist force (like Partisans if raw) can field a normal force if the are average, then the owner has the option to use one or the other.
John

martin goddard

Thanks John.
This is all "rough" at the moment as we have not really tested it.
That comes soon.
Because raw companies can be 4,5 or 6 I thought that maybe 5 can be the cut off for JIB units.
Of course players can use standard architect book lists but they must conform to the normal Raw company size.

There needs to be some reward for being stuck with a "bad company". 
Non conformist is an exploration of that.

Smiley Miley 66

So what would a Volksstrum unit look like ?
Miles

Big Mike

martin goddard

Volksturm would have good AT. They have panzer fausts  and panzerschreks.
Their main problem is that they are raw. This means they die easily.
Additionally the only unit they are allowed  for extras is a towed gun unit.
They should be OK in defence? This is because an attacker will have to hack them down and get morale on them to get them out of the way. With only 5 turns this could be quite hard.
Having a lot of infantry might also make them vulnerable to mortar and off table HE.
It would be good for  everyone to try one out to see how it works for them.

Non conformist  forces have limitations upon which support they can have. This is no way stops players using raw companies (such as volksturm) with all the usual tanks etc.

Tonight we are trying French resistance versus US (Big Mike's Big red 1).

Stewart 46A

My Raw Volkstrum had a small win against Martins late war British thanks to an heroic panzerfaust team killing one Sherman and disabling a 2nd

Stewart

Smiley Miley 66

I was saying to Stewart I can't remember if it was or Martins I used, Volksstrum v Russians. Me vRob and I beat him. A few years ago.
I was just asking as it might be a good force to try out for the Factory game ?
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

Quote from: Smiley Miley 66 on September 29, 2023, 11:40:29 AMI was saying to Stewart I can't remember if it was or Martins I used, Volksstrum v Russians. Me vRob and I beat him. A few years ago.
I was just asking as it might be a good force to try out for the Factory game ?
Miles

It sounds as though the 7-platoon non-conformist Volkssturm with loads of integral AT would be fun to try against the Allies, Miles  ;)

Simon

Nigel_s

Would Irregular work instead of non-conformist?

martin goddard

No non conformist  does include Norwegian,Chinese and Greek regular armies.
We need to include them but they must not create a large "special section".
For simplicity they could just be removed from the orbit of PBI?

These forces have a small chance of winning at 400 points. A conundrum that will be overcome. Possibly a depletion imposed upon the conformist companies.

John Watson

I managed it rather convincingly with my Greeks (average) last year, and that was using the normal rules. I just had more than 5 units (I think I had 7). Not surprisingly some did not arrive in time to have any effect, but they are so cheap who cares. I'd vote to keep them in otherwise I've wasted money and time on perfectly good armies.
John