CK at Southampton Saturday 5th August 2023

Started by martin goddard, August 01, 2023, 12:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

A few of us are getting together at the WESSEX club this Saturday to play CK.
An all day 2 game experience.

If interested  do please e mail me or post here.

The Romans will be using their testicle. Cavalry will include cataracts. The Macedonian phalus should be there too.

There will be spare armies if that helps?

martin :)

martin goddard

I will bring an elephant army and Germans?

Sean Clark

Martin,

You could get a job at Too Fat Lardies with puns like that! 😂

martin goddard

Smiley Miley 66

I was hoping to be there tomorrow, but a financial reasons and I ve got this Operation "factory game" board to put together. Which hoping to get well and truly made but this weekend into next week ?
Then I can get a few test games down on the board before Colours. To get forces and any special rules in place ?
Miles

martin goddard

A good day out at Southampton.
An all day Wessex club meet.

Games

Germans v Vikings   Germans won
Nubians v Vikings    vikings won
Parthians v Germans  Parthians won
Carthaginians v Nubians     Nubians won

Two new chaps joined us and did very well.
A welcome to them.

We tried the altered battle tactics. All seemed OK although GOTO has not been used  yet.
There were some wild throws with 8 out of 10 5,6s etc. That makes a game more interesting.

Moggy

Yep, a good day with some great gaming. My Nubians finally got beaten which was great. Maybe I needed different drugs in the Vikings mead.

All seemed to work well but it will be good to have a final versions of the rules so I can keep my head straight on which version we are playing.

Thanks all for a good day and welcome to our 2 new friends.

Derek

Richardwills

Sorry I didn't get there chaps.  Family problems!

Richard

John Watson

I was pleasantly surprised at how the Vikings performed. The first game saw Martin's lucky purple dice smash it. I think he rolled 11 hits with 14 dice in the first assault. That was not an isolated roll either; others followed. Malcolm and I were in shock. The second game I expected to be shot away by the Nubians but the Vikings managed to get stuck in before that happened and the Nubians turned out to be quite brittle in fights. Jamie picked up on the game very quickly. So honours even for the Vikings. One 20+ points loss and one 20+ points win.
Bloody Barons next Saturday.
John

martin goddard

To correct you John.
I got 14 hits on 11 D6.

Colonel Kilgore

That sounds like a good day's gaming. And nice that each army that played twice both won and lost.

Implies a nice balance in the rules?

Simon

martin goddard

I am enjoying the games.
There is temptation to add more detail . That is fine when players are playing a lot and really know the rules.
Much more diffcult when returning to the rules after an absence.
There might be a few bits that can be  deleted although the rules are done I think.

martin ???

Moggy

I would tend to agree Martin.

A little tidying up, making sure army lists all agree with the rest of the rules (especially with the specimen armies in the army list book), couple of minor tweaks on the battle/playsheets I think its a done deal.

No matter what you do with it you can gaurentee that someone will spot something after its finished. Hopefully not earth shattering.

I would maybe suggest you leave ALL optional rules out and possibly have them as a free supplement on the website. That way you dont need to get them all sorted out before putting it to bed. Think it has been a long and confusing journey for all of us as it is. LOL

Great job on it Martin.

Derek

John Watson

I think I am agreeing with Derek, but perhaps expressing it in a different way.
1. Publish the core rules, preferably with a limited print run (possibly a pre-order print run). Could include the optional rules as an appendix.
2. Put the optional rules on the PP website, with a "use the ones both players agree on" caveat, if not in 1 above.
3. Put the army lists on the PP or RFCM website and invite players to submit their own army lists for scrutiny by MG for future inclusion. Again suggest to players that any army list can be proposed for a game as long as both players agree to it. Default position is that a PP sanctioned army list has to be accepted if the players cannot agree.
John