SCW day at Entoyment 6th May 2023

Started by martin goddard, May 06, 2023, 06:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

It will do fine Miles.
Any guns and armour?

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

From this distance they look fine, Miles!

Simon

Sean Clark

Smiley Miley 66

I ve got a French 75mm and the Italian 100mm. 2 mortars. I will be buying some tanks at some time ? Probably T26's as they are essentially a Vickers tank ! Not sure if I could get away with Lancaster A/C's ?
Miles

martin goddard

You would be fine with those Mies as the vehicles are under general headings.
The heaviest vehicle is a medium tank (T26) You could use a Vickers tank.
The Lanchester would be a light armoured car.

John Watson

Depends which side you are. The Nationalists tended to use German and Italian equipment, so PZ I and CV 33 etc. The Republicans tended to use Russian stuff, so BT 5 and T26. Captured stuff would be used at times but I don't think either side had much by the way of field engineer depots to repair captured stuff, so I don't think the use of captured equipment was as common as it was in WWII.
One thing to remember was that the western powers, led by UK, France and USA, had a strict arms embargo in place, so virtually no British, American or French hardware was used in the War. The Republicans did have some French tanks, Renaults I think, but these were ones that the Spanish government had bought from the French prior to the start of the war. The embargo also meant that there would be no spares for any vehicle that broke down. As a result the Republicans were at a distinct disadvantage, especially towards the end of the war when the Russians stopped supplying the Republicans with hardware.
John

Colonel Kilgore

Steven Zaloga's "Spanish Civil War tanks" (Osprey) has:
- Schneider CA1 tanks being used by both sides (4 by Republicans in Madrid + 2 by Nationalists in Zaragoza)
- enough T26s were captured by the Nationalists to be fielded in mixed units with Panzer Is (in 1937, one T26 in each platoon, and one platoon in each company) as well as on their own e.g. in the Foreign Legion's tank unit
- captured T26s were rebuilt and repainted in a dedicated German-operated workshop in Cubas before being fielded alongside the Panzers
- captured BT-5s were incorporated into the Foreign Legion's tank unit
- UNL-35 and Blindado B.C. armoured cars were used by both sides

My takeaway is that, within the scope of the Bayonet & Ideology-sized battle, anything goes!

Simon

martin goddard

I am not too exercised if  players use non standard models if it gets them  to the table.

John Watson

Simon, your source and mine evidently take different slants on the same info. I bow to yours though as my source was a political rather than military history. I hadn't included armoured cars as they were widely used on both sides.
john

Smiley Miley 66

Well as the international brigade was Republican I will use Russian stuff as I buy it. But for now I might use what early war  British desert or France I have. And class them as appropriate !
I noticed that the French WW1 tank has been mentioned in use for both sides ?
Miles

Smoking gun

Miles,
Renault FT17s were used by both sides, I don't have my books to hand but I believe there was  around 10 in Spain at the start of the war, 5 for each side. The republicans bought some more from Poland.Martin

Zvezda make nice kits of the T26, BT5 and BA10 armoured car (later turret than the BA6 used in Spain but close enough for most people or use the turrent off the tanks).

I hope that helps and best wishes,
Martin Buck

Colonel Kilgore

My Osprey Zaloga book says that in the Summer of 1936, the Republicans had 9 Renault FTs (and one Fiat 3000-A, an Italian copy of the FT17), and the Nationalists had 6.

Simon

Sean Clark

Good info Simon.

So long as things look 'about' right, I'll always be happy to entertain someone with a game. Especially in the SCW which doesn't get played enough at my club.