French Indian War using Washington's Army Rules

Started by Moggy, December 30, 2022, 09:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moggy

French Indian Wars (1754-63)

This is a period I have always had a distant interest in and decided it would be my next project.  I have played a couple of games of AWI using Washingtons Army and am casting my thoughts what I would have to modify to use this good set of rules.  Only 20 years or so separates these periods so things would be near enough similar.
France and Britain were at loggerheads and Empire Building in the New World.  Canada was French and France was pushing to take control of the Ohio Valley thus confining Britain to the coastal plains.  France also had major holdings in the South and held Florida and other territories in what is now the Gulf of Mexico.  This was an early part of the Seven Years War which played a major factor in why not that many European Troops were involved as they were engaged in Europe.

The Forces Involved

Regular troops

Both sides had regular trained troops present. The British force varied from 12,000 to as many as 25,000 in the later stages. These troops were well trained but generally poorly led by political appointees.  The French Had similar numbers although spread out over a wider area. French leadership was better than the British as a generality although the training of the troops was poorer.

Militias

Both sides fielded Militias in great numbers. These troops were poorly disciplined and liable to run if faced with lined up regular troops. They were often well led. Some of the militias well very well trained and motivated and became famous in their own right (Rogers Rangers for example). The issues with raising the militias were the start of what became the AWI. Both Britain and France were still financially "broke" following on and off again wars over the last century or so.  Taxes were harsh on the colonies and lack of any representation led to poor recruiting and resentment.  Continual promises things would get better were usually broken or disregarded. Also leaving their families unprotected did little to encourage enlistment.

Native Americans

This is tricky. Both sides courted the various tribes. Both sides broke their promises to restrict settlements and the taking of hunting lands.  The Iroquois Confederacy (6 tribes banded together under a common set of custom and laws) preferred to maintain a state of neutrality but this was not to last. During the Early and mid portions of the war the French had the larger portion of assistance of the natives. During the later part of the wars the Natives had pretty much abandoned the French and did assist the British although reluctantly.

Strategy and Tactics

Both sides built and protected forts and the majority of fights revolved around either the taking or protecting of these defensive but hugely important positions as they controlled the major rivers.
Both sides held to the Ideal of European combat tactics. Unless hugely outnumbered or disadvantaged the defenders would come out to fight a pitched battle. Losers were often given full military honours and could march away with banners flying and their small arms only to fight again another day.
The Native Americans however had other ideas. Preferring guerrilla tactics and ambushes, the taking of slaves and hostages and killing of prisoners. This often led them into dispute with the European allies they were supporting and on occasion was a cause of them turning on those very Europeans.

Changes to be looked at with using Washingtons Army Rules
Numbers of troops involved – One of the largest battles was the Capture of Quebeck. This featured around 8,000 British Regulars and a scattering of Militias and Indians The French had around 10,000 regular troops involved. Yes, the French marched out from the fortifications to fight a battle and found they couldn't match the British line!
Most Actions would have had probably less than 5000 per side (including all types of troops). IN one case a major action was fought with less than 2000 per side.

As such I think making the unit of manouver a Company rather than a Battalion is called for.  Maintaining the 4 to a base for Regular troops and 3 for militia and Indians remains to provide some differentiation.
All combat/shooting as per Washingtons Army

Terrain.
The vast majority of the land hadn't been cleared. Apart from odd farms and towns sometimes connected by very poor mud tracks movement was generally done by river. With this in mind the whole playmat is considered brush/scrub. Therefore, the first bound of movement will incur -2 inches to movement for that bound. A unit that changes formation may not move otherwise that turn. Any unit moving more than 2 bounds of movement WILL become disordered.

The exceptions to this are within a farm/building template. A new template is to be used of "Clearing". This will be a standard size empty space. Within this each FULL movement bound will be 3 inches.

LOS

Due to the nature of the ground units could remain unseen. A unit attempting to fire at long range for the first shot between the 2 units must roll 1d6. On a roll of 1-2 the target is only hit on a 6 regardless of being in line with centre of firing troops.
A unit not in open order that takes hits whilst in brush/scrub will ignore the first hit of each turn on a dice roll of 5-6.

Morale

A unit testing for morale will gain a further 1 dice if no friendly unit is within 4 inches.

That was my initial thought based on a couple of game.  What do you experienced guys think. Is there something I have missed or gone too far with.

Advise will be appreciated.

Derek

Sean Clark

I've often thought that the French Indian Wars deserves the RFCM treatment, probably at the level you are thinking of with units representing companies. Although one could go smaller to platoons/sections and implement a 1:1 figures scale similar to Patrols in the Sudan or Vikings.

Whilst reducing movement would be accurate, I think you have to figure in the 'fun' factor too. If units are too slow in moving and ranges are reduced for firing, it will mean units are taking longer to get to the decision point in the game. By reducing the scale down to company or lower, the distances on the table become larger. By this I mean ground scale might go from 1" = 50 yards to 1" = 10 yards or even less.

If the game was gridded, then movement distances are moot. Formed units might move 1 square, whereas loose order/open order troops might move 2 squares, or get a roll to move further similar to ships in Pieces of Eight.

If sticking with Washingtons Army (they are a great set of rules after all!), then I think they are eminently suitable for adaption and I am sure you'll make a great job of it. Just make sure you share it with us!  :)

Moggy

Good point on distance if the game comes down to companies.  I do not want to go gridded on this as I wish to retain the feel of both Washington's and ACW. I enjoy both sets too much and want this to be an adaption rather than a new game (too much work).

Perhaps doubling the size of templates but reducing the number slightly may help if you include the clear templates and restricting the number of "difficult" pieces.  I was considering making the suggested movement restriction only apply to regular forces. Perhaps making the actual movement bound distance random such as making it 1d3 inches movement would prove better. Not sure if applying this to eeach bound or the whole turns movement would be better (ie. 3 bounds to roll 3xd3) to add uncertainty which was the intent.

Another I considered was a restriction to the numbers of regular units possible. Perhaps restricting to a ratio of 1 regular to 3 other. 1 of which must be Native troops. An exception to this would be late war when the French would have no use of natives. (Montcalme despised the use of them after the massacre  following the surrender of Fort William Henry - yes that did happen pretty much as shown in Last of the Mohicans - This is possibly a major factor in why the French lost in the end).

Hoping that if it works out it could become an addendum to use. After all its really the same period and the same troops could be used with a greater use made of Militias and Indians.

Derek

martin goddard

Some very good thinking there Derek.
Nicely put together too.
As it develops maybe it would be a good one for a MILL article?
Then folks can access it more easily than by trawling through back posts??
Keep it up.

martin :)

John Watson

Can I suggest that you do something similar to Walter Schnaffs. Walter Schnaffs is the supplement to Square Bashing that allows games of the 19th century to be played, principally the Franco Prussian War. It is about 10 pages of amendments to SB. It is not a stand alone set of rules. It can be found somewhere on the forum.
John

Moggy

That's the intent John.  Just trying to get the premise sorted first and the feedback from those more experienced in the ruleset.

Derek

Moggy

Latest thoughts on this revolve much more around ambushes and scouting leading up to the fight. Therefore the latest version is:

Piggy Chase

Each player must select which units he will assign to ambush/scouting duties during the expedition. A player may allocate up to half his total number of units (rounding up).  A player may change the allocation each round from those troops selected. Once the first round commences no additional troops may be added.
These units generate the following number of dice:

Regular                   1
Militia                      2
Indians/Rangers       3

Each player must then allocate these scouting units to front, left or right flanks. A player may change the allocation each round.

The chase is played in 6 rounds. Each round the total number of points for each area (front/Front, Left/Right, Right/left) is totalled and this number of dice thrown. 6's are successes 1's are fails. For every 6 rolled the opponent must make a saving roll against one of his scouting units from that area. The scouting roll is treated as though in cover (2+) so only 1s are a lost half base.
Compare and note opposing scores. Once all 6 rounds are complete the player with the higher number of successes chooses to be either attacker of defender and as they have beaten back the opposing players scouting forces. Depletions are then performed as per the Washington's Army rulebook.

Each 1 rolled means 1 unit from that area is unable/unwilling to scout in the following round or find nothing. It is possible that both sides could have nobody scouting in a round.
If a player chooses not to scout an area, or is unable to scout an area, any successes from that area may result in losses for the column of troops. For each success the player must make a saving roll as normal (3+).

Terrain

Each player has 6 pieces of terrain available of which 1 must be a double sized template of woods. This double sized template should be made up of 2 normal sized templates which can be placed in any configuration and overlap into another set-up section's area. These are laid down first by the owning play.

A new piece of terrain in introduced of "Empty". This piece is as described. It has clear line-of-sight and aids movement.

Within a terrain template that blocks LOS excluding a linear feature the maximum observerable distance is 3" (Same as falter test distance).
All other normal rules for terrain set-up apply.

Flankers

There is no Flanker action in this version due to the much smaller number of troops involved.

Movement

Unlike Washington's Army rules, where fighting normally occurred in cleared areas of farmland the fighting in The French-Indian war was almost entirely in natural terrain. Due to this movement is hindered by the following rules.

Before any unit is moved the owning player must declare how many units of movement he is using. This includes any changes to formation or facing.

If the unit is to change formation or facing 1 dice is rolled. If the result is a 1 it has failed and stays still and goes into disorder.

For each unit of movement performed the player rolls a dice. For the first bound if a 1 is rolled the player losses 1" of movement. For the second bound of movement a roll of 1 or 2 looses 2" of movement As the unit gets more ragged in its formation. Indians and Rangers never lose more than 1" of movement regardless of the number of bounds of movement they take.
A unit of Regulars or militia (not rangers) that moves through woods will automatically become disordered if they move 2 bounds in the same turn entirely in a terrain feature as these features are very "terrained"

Ambushes in terrain

Each player may pay for up to 3 Ambush markers from their army points list at a cost of 10 points per marker. These markers are numbered on the face down side with either 1,2 or 3.  The owning player secretely allocates any of his Indians and/or Rangers to a specific number. A player may have troops in more than 1 counter. Any other counters are considered to have a couple of scouts but no combat force.

These markers are deployed on the table in any terrain piece that blocks line-of-sight before any troops are placed from the remainder of the Army.
For the attacker, these are troops pushed forward on the final approach to block any ambushes. For the Defender these are to try to ambush troops approaching.
Ambush markers are moved before any other troops in a turn. They are treated exactly the same as any other unit regarding distance moved, dice rolls, etc.

When 2 opposing ambush markers move within 3 " of each other the owner looks at the number and either declare his marker is just scouts and is removed or that he has forces there. If there are forces present they are not placed unless both players have forces present. If not a single half base is placed on top of the marker to signify that there are troops present.
If both players have forces present the units involved are placed on the table and the markers removed. Placed units may be in any formation but must have 1 base within 1 inches of the marker. The unit must be eat least half in the template and can be placed at the edge. These units may be placed at falter test distance and go directly into a test without opportunity fire as they have successfully ambushed the opponent..

Units from ambush markers do not require motivation by a leader if in terrain. They do have to roll for AP as per Artillery. In following turns they must move towards their own base edge at their best possible speed within the rules. Once they are in LOS from their own troops they then follow the standard motivation process.

Once a player has a final marker left on table he may, at his own choice, declare it as scouting only and then remove it or continue to worry his opponent.

Thoughts and opinions?

Early days yet so all input appreciated.

Derek

Sean Clark

This is very interesting Derek. The conflict has been an interest of mine for a long time. I'll digest your words more fully and get back to you.

Moggy

FINALLY!!!! Painting done on the French. Next comes the basing then the flags lol.   Deep joy.

Derek

Moggy

Have been looking at how to do the approach march with ambush/counter-ambush etc.  Here are my latest thoughts;

French Indian Wars – Approach March

This mini game is designed to simulate the approach march that would have to have been undertaken by either side prior to launching an attack on a village, ford or fort. It is designed to reduce the number of troops available for use in the main game and both sides may be affected by this. It is a game of ambush and counter-ambush.

The approach occurs over a period of 6 round.  During each round both players will select up to half their units to be on the flanks or as an advance guard. These units are then further dived up into the advance position, left or right flanks.  Each unit so selected will have one base placed in the appropriate position on the game area according to their quality.

Each round a number of dice is rolled according to which units are in each sector. Advance will fight advance, left will fight right and right will fight left.
The number of dice rolled is as follows:
Indian/Light Infantry         4
Militia                       3
Regular line                  2
This is further modified by:
Veteran                       +1
Raw                           -1
½ Base                        -1
A minimum dice to be rolled for each unit is 1.

A score of 5+ will reflect a hit on the opposing force (re-rolls allowed).  Hits from the opposing force will cancel out hits. I.e.  Team A roll and score 3 hits, Team b roll 1 hit so only 2 hits need to be rolled to save.
Saves are 4+ with Veteran needing 3+ and raw needing 5+.

Losses on the flanks/advance are by the half base. Losses on the main column are by the whole base.
Units to have saves rolled are selected by the opposing player in all instances.  Only 1 hit and save roll can be applied per unit.  Excess hits are placed on the main column. In the first round all units will provide a full base per unit but further rounds may force a player to field a half base for some of their units.  If the unit has lost a half base it MUST play the other half rather than another full base.

Once all three sectors have been rolled for those troops working as flankers return to the column. The following round Fresh units must be selected and those previously used will form the main column. A tally musty be kept for each unit to record any losses by unit.

At the end of the 6th round the number of FULL bases lost is tallied and comparison made.  The higher score will be deemed the attacker in the main game and the lower the defender(or winner if used as a stand alone mini game). If the scores are equal further rounds are played until a winner is determined.

As a concept I think this would work, possibly also work for any game where there is an approach march such as Chindits vs Japanese, Viet Nam or others, with a minimum or reworking.

I am now at the stage to consider how to apply it to main game. I accept this will be quite bloody so wold accept that following this each player may amalgamate small units into others or a similar or lower quality whilst keeping the maximum sizes permitted the same.

In the main game I feel further losses due to depletions may be punative so would suggest that any unit that rolls a lost half base may instead put the unit into reserve instead.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Derek

martin goddard

You are busy Derek.  Good news. Keep it up.

Stewart 46A

Derek, a suggestion
For defender
Roll number of D6 = to number of bases any 6's rolled 1/2 base lost as succumbed to wounds or just scarpered

Stewart

Moggy

The French are done...... at last...been a long slog for some reason!

Montcalme and his entourage

4 Regiments of the line

1 Regiment of Chauseurs (Light Infantry)

4 Regiments of militia led by Light infantry officers

5 Huron Warbands

Finished just in time for colours to think about the next project lol.

Derek

martin goddard

They look fine Derek. The basing is particularly pleasing.
See you at colours.

Stewart 46A