Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Undercoat paint  (Read 240 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Undercoat paint
« on: February 21, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »
Anyone able to offer a recommendation for a white undercoat that is brush on.
i.e an undercoat that I can apply by using a brush.
Has to be available in the UK too.

I know this sounds fussy, but I have nothing better to fuss about :)

Thank you

martin :)

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Undercoat paint
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 08:39:55 PM »
I still use oil based enamel paint, Humbrol No: 34. You can get it in larger 50ml tins.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Leman

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 08:44:01 PM »
If it is the very first coat it should be primer. You can't go far wrong with Vallejo white primer which is brush on.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 09:09:41 PM »
My favorite is now Stynylrez. It's a primer and designed to be airbrushed, but works well with a brush and can cover with very little quantity. It also comes in many colours, including white.

Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 10:10:52 PM »
I shall try to source the recommendations

Thank you

pbeccas (Paul)

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 08:25:28 AM »
Vallejo white surface primer.  It comes in three different sizes and you can brush it on or air brush it on.  It’s really good.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 03:31:41 PM »
I trawled the local shops and online.
The Vallejo is available online but postage is £9 for a pot from the games store.
Stynylrez, tried to get it but the shop expects you to become  an account holder.
Spoke with Entoyment and they recommended "Green stuff matt primer"
I have tried it. Looks fine.
See how the new web pictures come out using it.

Noggin

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 03:40:46 PM »
Try pendraken

You can get a 60ml pot and 2.50 postage

Mike6t3

• Supporter 2021
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »
I trawled the local shops and online.
The Vallejo is available online but postage is £9 for a pot from the games store.
Stynylrez, tried to get it but the shop expects you to become  an account holder.
Spoke with Entoyment and they recommended "Green stuff matt primer"
I have tried it. Looks fine.
See how the new web pictures come out using it.

martin

Have you looked at these guys https://www.snmstuff.co.uk (no not that sort of SnM 😂) They sell Vallejo products at reasonable postage rates. I've bought from them a number of times and always found them good.

Mike

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 03:58:18 AM »
My favorite is now Stynylrez. It's a primer and designed to be airbrushed, but works well with a brush and can cover with very little quantity. It also comes in many colours, including white.

I totally agree with Simon on this. When I bought my first bottle it came in a a set of 3 Black,White and Grey. Can be brushed or sprayed. Very good and versatile.
Miles

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 09:11:58 AM »
Mike
That is a good one.
They will be getting some business from me.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 01:17:23 PM »
I know this is heresy and will anger some with a more porfessional approach...

But in 35 years of gaming I've never worried about the difference between primer and an undercoat. I've never had a probelm with paint not 'taking'.

Also, Graham Evans introduced me to using common or garden household emulsion paint. He always brushes his undercoat on to his figures using a black emulsion from the local DIY shop.

I've since tried it and can report that no one from the Hobby Police has been around and said that I am doing it wrong. And, to cap it all, the emulsion worked really well. The figures themselves have reported that they feel just as primed for action as they would had I used a 'hobby' specific product.

You can get it in those little tester pots. I bought a 250ml pot from Wilko's for about £5 around 5 years ago. Despite using it for 5 years, you can't tell I've used any. I think it may last me through to my grave. It's actually a very dark grey really, but it works just as well as black. Also, you can get some very nice browns, creams and 'off whites' in emulsion, so whatever your fancy in undercoat/primer is catered for.

Shock horror, I use those really cheap brushes from Hobbycraft or Amazon where you get 10 for £5. to apply it with. I feel like this is some kind of confession and that proper wargamers and serious painters will demounce me as a heretic. But I'm ok with this.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 01:26:14 PM »
Sean,

I am shaken to the core.

We may have to ask you to confine yourself to the virtual doghouse while we let this little shocker die down and people return once again to this Forum.

Simon

Westie

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 02:01:41 PM »
I should probably start buying actual primer. Currently, I water down old pots of black or dark grey hobby paint when the paint gets that thick, sticky way. I then brush this on to make sure no pooling collects in the nooks and crannies on the figure. Sean's right about using cheap brushes. One down side is that it really messes up your brushes so naturally, old ones are selected for this purpose.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 03:22:12 PM »
I know where Sean And Dave are both coming from. I ve used both “household” paints for undercoat and actual top coat, I ve also thinned down old nearly useless paint and used them for undercoats and washes. But since I bought my Airbrush I needed a good primer/undercoat and everyone down Entoyment said the same thing “Stynylrez” Actually I am surprised Pete doesn’t stock it ? Might put that question to him ?
But anyway I then found out that it is just as nice to brush on and because of the formula it does level itself out very nicely and I think Simon will say the sam on this point. I am not saying the old tried and tested methods are wrong, bad, etc. But a good undercoat/primmer that sticks to the subject and brings out the details, and not obscure them, especially if you buy PP products their figures have loads of good detail that need to be enhanced and not destroyed then use “Stynylrez” which is Badger paints.
Miles