Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BB Coat of Arms Question  (Read 110 times)

Traffic

• Supporter 2021
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
BB Coat of Arms Question
« on: January 09, 2021, 11:44:17 PM »
For some reason I cannot locate any of my WOTR reference books following the house reorganisation.  And, I am having a bit of a senior moment (while I consider adding surcoats or livery coats to some spare figures following my recent dalliance with greenstuff),

Taking that nice new figure of Hastings and his attendant standard bearer as an example.  Both will be painted wearing his coat of arms, the standard bearer will have them rotated (so the arm holes (yes there is probably a proper name for them) are fore and aft).  What I cannot remember is whether the pattern is repeated on the the reverse of the surcoat in the same way as livery coats.

Leman

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: BB Coat of Arms Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 09:49:10 AM »
I solve those problems by going with the livery colours.

Andy

John Watson

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 09:59:40 AM »
I've always understood (and I might be wrong) that the tabard or livery coat is half and half. So looking at the man from in front the right side might be blue (front and back) and the left side might be white (front and back) with the livery badge either middle or left breast. However there is very little or no physical evidence for any of this. The other thing to bear in mind was that in the 15th century there was no mass production, so it is quite possible that each one is made to a set of instructions but is individually a bit different as it has been weaved, dyed and sown by hand.
John

Traffic

• Supporter 2021
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 10:27:42 AM »
Thanks both, livery is "reasonably" straightforward and is how most of my units are done. Where a general has a surcoat I am looking at coat of arms as a bit of challenge. 

I did one a long time ago for Somerset.  He is wearing his coat of arms and the standard bearer is in livery.

I am trying to find my reference book about why I did Somerset with Coat of arms front and back and if this is vaguely correct