Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hats  (Read 151 times)

Flaminpig0

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Hats
« on: January 04, 2021, 06:44:55 AM »
At the risk of asking a silly question is it permissible to mix headgear within early government units?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Hats
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 07:58:52 AM »
Hello Ian
Good question.
Hope this does not muddy the waters?
Here is what I have seen in the photos (there are lots out there and not always listed under "Mexican revolution").

Government units.
Most units (companies or regiments) wear the same hats.
However different units within a wargame army might quite legitimately wear different hats. That would look good too.

It is also possible to have government troops in sombrero but these would be more militia type units or rurales re-tasked as front line troops.

For the first 3 years the kepi and even the old shako (sometimes)  were popular/common.(1911-1913)
The peaked cap is the most common after this (1913 onwards)
Amongst all this is the pith helmet. Popular with MG and artillery units. Used by some infantry too.

For the "second half" the cowboy hat becomes the most common by far for government troops.

For simplicity I have called the government forces "first" and "second" half.

Beware that some might wish to break the government army into four periods. This is fine as a demonstration of detailed knowledge;  but just causes a breakdown in clarity and "transference" to a wargame table.
Such "detail" might just kill interest in what is already a complex war. ???

martin :)

PS there will be some PP head packs but I am caring for my own health at the moment too. :(

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »
... but I am caring for my own health at the moment too. :(

There's nothing to apologise for there, Martin. Much better to have a slower rate of output to add to what is already quite an extensive new range than for you to get poorly again.

Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 09:52:08 AM »
Appreciate that Simon

martin :)

Flaminpig0

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »
... but I am caring for my own health at the moment too. :(

There's nothing to apologise for there, Martin. Much better to have a slower rate of output to add to what is already quite an extensive new range than for you to get poorly again.

Simon
Seconded and thanks for the  hat info

Nick

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 10:50:59 AM »
I quite like the idea of having different hats for each unit - makes it much easier to tell which unit each base belongs to during the game.

Nick

Panzer21

• Supporter 2021
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 12:20:10 PM »
Short answer - yes, but it wasn't common from photos. Most units seem to wear the same uniform, but occasionally had a mix of hats.
There's one series of photos showing a unit with a mix of mgs and rifles. The men wear a mix of old blue uniforms, greatcoats with shakos and kepis as well as new uniforms and peaked caps. The officers all wear peaked caps but in different shades (possibly grey as well as sand).

For Federales in sombrero, see here:

https://www.thoughtco.com

Just Google Mexican Revolution images - there are lots of photos.

Neil