Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FfM V16  (Read 322 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
FfM V16
« on: December 26, 2020, 08:01:00 PM »
Had a game today.
After a game two days ago where we spent a lot of time getting up to speed with the start of the game todays game we started around eleven and finished after 3 turns each at 1.30 so we are getting the hang of the setup.
We did the setup much quicker and we think it was more correct, only one road and no primary scenery in the pit-stop row.
Anyway more tomorrow plus some pictures.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: FfM V16
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 09:18:00 PM »
Sounds promising Les.

martin :)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 05:54:39 PM »
The game pictures.  https://imgur.com/hH8NaVf
We played using the Southern Rebels and the Government second half.
Southern rebels 4 average units, two foot two mounted. Extras 2MG bases and an extra unit of foot.
Government 4 average foot units, extras 4 MG bases, 3 bomber bases, 6 extra foot + 1 foot.
Scenery, 2 solid buildings, 2 scattered buildings, 2 gentile hills, 1 rough hill, 1 arroyo.
Ralph won the piggy chase. 35-0 and chose to attack so defender depletions 18 foot bases.
We then played two turns after which we had a quick look at victory points to see what we should be trying to do to gain the most points.
The defender was in front.
We used a variety of assets and they all worked.

We had a number of questions and comments.
The section 40 on reborn units does not make sense, the attacker lost an average unit and could bring it back the defender could not!! Section 6 contradicts section 40, or at least they tell you different things.
Assets section 7 for HE is different to the hammered section 37.
The morale test method on page 61 is incorrect for the base removal. And section 36 for casualties causing a morale test.
The no AP, means the 1 residual action is very very hard to find in the rules, mentioned in the casualties section and under AP but not on the play-sheet.
We could not find the place in the turn sequence to create a new officer or how long in the turn after he was killed before a new one can be created.
Casualties, when they are always chosen by the owner it made it very difficult to assault an objective with the MG in place and some rifle bases, the owner always removes the rifles first and the shooter never could choose to place the causality on the MG.
We also felt that the cavalry player would like a green meadow to place as part of the scenery choice.

In general we had a game and did not come across any game stoppers.
We have found that you need to keep very careful control of you casualties knowing who the belong to as they will get mixed up from different units.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 09:29:26 PM »
Thank you for playing the game Les (Ralph too).
I will get the rules updated this week

Brian Cameron

• Supporter 2021
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »
Hi,

some comments from reading through FM16.  I may well have missed a few things as Martin's email with FM15 says there were quite a few structural changes.  Unless they disappeared in FM16 I've not been able to spot them.

Section 16 Primary scenery: 4 pieces
Example says 4
Primary (top of page 24) still says 5 & 10 & 20

P27 Under scattered buildings it says both primary and paritlal in the bullet points.

I think I noticed some extra mentions of the Battle Sheet...

The imposition of depletions often results in howls of protest from Defenders.  Thats the point in the game where Id remember an urgent appointment to paint the cat and polish the dog.

Section 31 Morale.  Id suggest that it reads better if 4,5,6= remove a base. Re-roll allowed. is after the number of dice to be re-rolled.

Carrying out a morale test, 3rd bullet point  If the unit fails, it removes 1, 2, 3 bases (if Veteran, Average, Raw, respectively) of the owner's choice from the unit. doesnt match the section above about die rolls.

Page 87 Arriving on the table edge: 0,1,2 bases are pushed out of the way.  - seems unnecessary as such units are immediately removed from the table (section 41).

Brian

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 04:39:15 PM »
Good notes Brian.
Maybe there will be a  Mexico day in 2021 when you can actually get some games in??

Thank you

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 04:49:08 PM »
Just sent out FM 17.
Just a short term "fix" waiting for next bit of planishing

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 06:10:56 PM »

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 11:33:26 PM »
Had a good game with Martin using FM17 tonight.
I attacked with 5 raw (4 mounted), Martin defended with 4 average foot.
Martin won hands down losing only 1 unit and keeping control of all the objective.
I lost 4 units.
Less scenery has opened the table up for mounted movement but lack of scenery means cavalry are easy targets.
The new morale can be quite deadly, rolling 5 D6 for raw, I lost 5 bases.

I will return with a new force.

Stewart

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 02:58:41 PM »
With our game we found that with 3 riflemen and a MMG in an objective and the rest of the unit and officer close by, a very difficult job and a lot of luck to dislodge the defenders.  This is made all the more difficult with the owning player allocation casualties.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »
So have you managed to change the ownership of many objectives in your playtest games?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 08:48:10 PM »
If there are 4 bases in a square, then 4 hits are needed in order to guarantee a hit on all those bases.
4 hits needs 4 rolls of 5,6.
That would require 12 shooting D6.
That would be achieved by 6 bases shooting twice.
Not that common I agree.

The "trick" is to hammer the square and then assault.
It might be better advised to go for the other parts of the unit.
When there are only 4 bases left the morale will likely get them.

In our previous game Stewart took all 3 objectives from me.

In the most recent game Stewart assaulted and took 1 objective.
Stewart did not assault the other two.

In assault bombers, shock assault  and short assault can create a successful assault more easily.

Assaulters should accept that they need more bases than target to win an assault.

Target. MG + 3 rifle bases in solid buildings get 14D6. If hammered, this drops to 10D6.
6 short assault rifle bases would get 18D6.

The play testing continues. :)

Nick

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 02:43:29 PM »
Just reading through version 17.
Just checking on army addition number 6 - extra MGs (the second lot, after first extras addition number 5). Is this supposed to be 1 extra MG or 2? In all the army tables it shows as 1 extra, yet the example on page 17 "Cleo's southern rebels" gives 2.
Apologies if this has been addressed already (just trying to see how many MG packs I need to order!).

regards,
Nick

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »
Nick, everywhere should read a maximum or 3 MMG's. Take the first pair and then you can take a third.
Cleo Lane need to revise the army lists'!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 08:19:06 PM »
All that Jazz.

Will get that updated Nick :)

martin