Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 15mm Plastic ACW  (Read 1203 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: 15mm Plastic ACW
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
Righteous thoughts Sean
martin :)

Norm

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2021, 02:50:53 PM »
I have painted up some of the new Warlord Games Epic ACW figures and blogged an article that covers that and that also compares the figures with Kallistra 12mm and Peter Pig 12mm figures from my collection.

Link

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/01/warlord-epic-acw-painting-and-comparing.html

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »
Good review and write up Norm.

For bases of figures with the gap between, why not trim the excess base off, the pegs are not too near the end?

Norm

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2021, 03:26:58 PM »
That would be possible- but there is a rim underneath that goes around the entire edge of the base. In effect, it gives the base depth while not needing more plastic to give that depth and it probably brings a rigidity to the base. Cutting the ends would expose this hollow area and require filling. Not beyond the wit of man, but unlikely to be something that the audience will want to do, for reasons of safety, extra work and problems with accuracy in making the final job look right.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2021, 04:13:19 PM »
That's some very nice painting and basing, Norm!

Simon

Nick

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2021, 04:20:51 PM »
I enjoyed reading your blog article, Norm.

Thanks,
Nick

Norm

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2021, 06:57:54 AM »
I have glued up a few more bases and put them out on ‘the field of battle’, together with some Piggy stuff.

Having left things up for a day or two, my overall feeling is that I prefer my 15mm figures. I like the flexibility of the 30mm base and I also like the whole thing about ‘the figure’, still being something to enjoy for its own sake, it’s not just about formations.

Considering that I spent just over 4 hours painting just 3 test bases of the new models up (1 inf, 1 commander 1 gun and crew) and then a further hour to base, I was surprised that when they went down onto the table, from my wargamers eye position (I stand) all that work that I did in painting the detail pretty much disappeared and I was looking at some blue clad bases that had pink dots for faces and hands and so the look went from detailed paint job to impressionistic.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2021, 08:40:45 AM »
Interesting reflections, Norm.

You're making a sound case for the 15mm scale as a good option for "the common man" 🙂

I've seen some online discussion complaining about the "one size fits all" choices made in the sculpting of these strips too. In 15mm you have many more options for a given army or unit.

Simon

Panzer21

• Supporter 2021
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2021, 11:22:35 AM »
Having just obtained the magazine and spruce, I have had a chance to see these in the flesh.
They are very nice, no flash and I can see people buying lots but not necessarily painting them....
A quick look at eBay shows lots of people willing to pay over £7 for these sprues.....

No doubt many have already bought the sets offered by Warlord.

To me, it looks like another "oh! Shiney!" Moment with a large initial momentum but little stamina.

Warlord are ex-GW so follow that business model. I suspect there's a built in expectation of initial enthusiasm followed by only die-hards being consistent purchasers.

For my part, the intention that these are in a non-compatible scale (aside from one 12mm manufacturer) are compounded by the way they have been moulded in long strips that it's practically impossible to separate, means they are not really compatible with lots of popular ACW rules.

I wonder how much I could flog that sprue for?  :)

Leman

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2021, 12:15:30 PM »
I have found a good way of dealing with big base units, which I have already done with my ACW, is the mini-dice holder glued to the back of the base, with different coloured dice showing casualties or state of play. Casualties can also be shown by casualty figures, but I prefer these for showing disorder. TBH those big bases can work with virtually any rules. However wargamers already into the ACW will have 28mm, 15mm, 10mm or 6mm armies, possibly more than one scale. Why then invest in 13.5mm scale, which is neither here nor there. It can only be supplemented by Kallistra. And then (in best nerdy voice) there are the spokes :o