Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Road to nowhere  (Read 799 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Road to nowhere
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 11:00:57 AM »
Personally, no. Not wishing to knock EWM, but maybe to move this thread into a different direction, I do find that roads deployed in 15mm games can sometimes be way too wide - certainly for my taste. I'd suggest that Flames of War / Gale Force 9 may be "guilty" in this regard.

Am I out of order in having such thoughts...?

Simon

Moggy

• Supporter 2021
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
I agree. I think that they tend to make them for use with BOTH 15 and 28mm (and possibly even 54mm) so probably scale them to about 20-25mm scale. 

The only problem I see with the EWM is they are too regular. After many trips up bridleways (in the UK) and country paths with the wife on horse and me walking in front (she was a nervous horsewoman) and the many years spent traipsing around the countryside when I was in the Army all over Europe (north and south), paths tend to be very irregular and even heavy carts tend not leave a solid contineous track. Rain and weather would soon flatten this after a very short time.

If you consider a rough country track it varies for its width from 3-4 foot to maybe 10-12 foot. so for 15mm 1:120 that would make a track range from maybe under half an inch to an inch. If you take base widths into account I don't recall many rulesets with bases much under an inch (30mm) so for aesthetics sake we tend to not have terrain tracks smaller than this size.

One of lifes' compromises. Accuracy or it looks right.  I would go with looking right to the figures any day.

Cheers

Derek

Spartacus

• Supporter 2021
  • Wild Boar
  • Terry
    • View Profile
    • My Piccies
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »
I bought a load of this guy (Joe) from USA stuff many eons ago. I still like it.

http://wargamersterrain.com/

Addendum----Wasn`t that dear when I bought them :o

Terry