Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big Bloody Barons - The Battle of Denley Moor  (Read 243 times)

usagitsuki

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Big Bloody Barons - The Battle of Denley Moor
« on: October 18, 2020, 07:23:17 PM »
"It were always raining in Denley Moor, except on days when it were fine; and there weren't many of those - not if you include drizzle as rain.... "

Dug out the 6mm WOTR to have a go at expanding BB into a 6x4 grid. I want to integrate it into Perfect Captain's campaign system 'A Coat of Paper,' and it seems like that'll need more units. I've changed the terminology so a game 'ward' is now a 'division (for want of a better term), and each ward consists of one or more divisions. The game plays the same as BB, but I brought in a morale penalty (2 casualties) for a division if its ward's other divisions routs, and a 1 casualty penalty for an adjacent division of a different ward. And also a permanent 1 'problem' for any division where the adjacent ward has all routed. I also had a go at staggering the melee sequence, so that the defender rolls, then the attacker, then the defender decides whether to reroll and carries that out, followed by the attacker.

Anyway, here's some pics.

The armies deployed.

Lancastrians advanced tentatively on both wings, the Yorkists got the better of the archery exchange and themselves advanced to press the advantage.

But a setback for the Yorkists as Warwick's attack fails and he is badly mauled. Warwick seems to have a miraculous ability to keep his troops on the field in my games so far. And here he also managed to stand firm and rally.

The battle on the Lancastrian right ebbed and flowed, until Scrope was broken and routed by Grey, but Percy was driven back by Fauconberg. Fauconberg pressed the attack, leaving Grey unable to pursue Scrope.

Warwick is back in the fight, and with the Lancastrian right looking decidedly shaky, Clifford launches a desperate attack on the Yorkists on the hill. The attack fails spectacularly, and Clifford is thrown back

After much hard fighting and ebbs and flows, Fauconberg routs Percy. With Grey also then fleeing, Fauconberg turns his men towards the Lancastrian centre. In the background Clifford also decides to get a head start on any pursuers. Victory to the Yorkists.

I used 4-base units here, but I really want to make them into 8-base ones ultimately. I think in the meantime, I may go back to 'normal' sized battles while I paint some more figures. Or possibly try some 'Towton-style' battles with 4 units per square. Anyway, still enjoying the rules immensely.

Mike6t3

• Supporter 2021
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
Re: Big Bloody Barons - The Battle of Denley Moor
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:04:13 PM »
Fantastic looking game and entertaining report. Thanks for sharing it.

Mike

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 08:44:08 PM »
That looks  immense!
Thank you for showing us the pictures.

Would look good at a show too.

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 09:23:46 PM »
That's a real line of battle - very nice!

Simon

mellis1644

• Wild Boar
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 04:47:40 PM »
Great looking battle and looks like you had a fun time with it.