Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sources of inspiration for painting  (Read 304 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Sources of inspiration for painting
« on: November 28, 2020, 11:25:46 AM »
I've been reading up on the battles of St Albans - and trying to resist the urge to distract myself from my current painting project and start WOTR instead...

But there's no harm in getting prepared, and I've realised what a great source of painting inspiration the Peter Dennis's illustrations are in his "Wargame the Wars of the Roses 1455-1487" paper soldiers book. Livery colours and flags / banners too.

Martin has previously mentioned the illustrations in the Osprey campaign books as good sources of inspiration too. Does anyone else have their own favourite pictures of the period?

Simon

John Watson

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of inspiration for painting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 03:43:50 PM »
I'll admit my conflict of interest here, but any of the many books from the Lance and Longbow Society on the WOTR.
John

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 04:20:22 PM »
Sorry John, I didn't mean to dismiss the learned content of the L&L books, but should have clarified that I was thinking of full colour illustrations. Those L&L books that I do have mainly contain line drawings (apart from some nicely executed flags).

Are there more such books I should be looking at?

Simon

John Watson

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 06:06:52 PM »
No you are quite right Simon. The inspiration is in words not pictures in the L & L books.
John

Leman

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 06:57:05 AM »
There is of course the information at the back of the Bloody Barons rulebook which suggests the kinds of colours used at the time, but the Osprey books are still the best for full colour battle scenes of the period.