Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rollcall 2021 Cancelled  (Read 187 times)

SimonC

• RFCM admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Rollcall 2021 Cancelled
« on: October 08, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »
Roll Call 2021 will not take place

In the light of recent Government announcements that the "rule of 6", and other more specific prohibitions against the staging of meetings and other events are expected to remain in force for at least another 6 months across the UK, the BHGS team have taken the reluctant decision that it is no longer feasible to run Roll Call as we had originally hoped next April half term.

With the 6-month prohibition against events and gatherings taking us through to the beginning of April 2021, the BHGS would therefore at best only be able to confirm that Roll Call was going ahead (or not) literally a matter of days in advance of the event itself - an impossible situation for our players, especially those needing to plan travel and accommodation, our organising team and of course our venue the Holywell School.

Even were the prevailing set of restrictions on meetings and events to be lifted earlier than anticipated, we believe it is unrealistic to expect that social distancing guidelines will be eased to the extent that Roll Call - very much a "tightly-packed" gaming experience in recent years - could be staged without a very significant reduction in capacity. This in turn would put the financial viability of the event in question, and would see player numbers across all of the periods we traditionally stage being dramatically reduced to below credible thresholds.

​We will continue to review our plans for situation going forward, and look forward to a return to staging multi-period, multi-ruleset wargaming events as soon as it is both safe and practicable for us to do so.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Rollcall 2021 Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 01:45:22 PM »
Grim

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 02:59:14 PM »
Yes virus affecting 2021 shows already, looking like another grim year.

Stewart

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 03:35:22 AM »
Speaking to Peter last week, Beachead 2021 is in a similar position. I asked about other dates next year and he said, he might be able to put on an event but are a lot of the traders going to turn up ?
With that in mind.
What about Bovington next year ?
What about some possible dates for WWW 2021 ? I need to book the Friday and Monday off around that weekend sooner rather than later ?
Miles

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 08:35:25 AM »
Mornings,
 Bovington 2021,
 Too early to say either way, if itís still the same as this year, ie,  visitors booking on line for a certain time and one way system around the museum I canít see it being very attractive for traders.

WWW 2021
I have moved the deposits to another weekend in November 21 TBC,
I normally confirm the date after Easter

But in these uncertain times who knows,  may be we can get Doctor Who to rewind the world to October 2019 and we can quarantine China.

On a serious note
How many independent traders will have gone to the wall?
They have all learnt to exist with out shows so again how many will decide they donít kneed the expense and hassle of shows?
Will you trust strangers leaning over your game or joining in a game and touching your models?
The way our hobby works has changed

Stewart

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 09:19:17 AM »
I'm not sure I'd be inviting people to touch my toys at the best of times....

But these are all good points. I can't see public shows taking off again until we've either moved on from or learned to live with the virus.

Maybe a little more hope for WWW and such non-public events?

Simon

John Watson

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 09:35:38 AM »
I have said all along that I think Bovy 21 is the earliest we can expect a show, but that does not mean it will necessarily take place. Stewart has highlighted the problems shows will face in future. Perhaps we will see an increase of gaming weekends instead along the lines of WWW.
John

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 04:59:11 PM »
The museum is lucky to have a lot of space to perhaps give them a chance of a show!

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
Actually the museum these days doesnít have the luxury of ďlotsĒ of space? That s quite a problem there now. Many of the tanks and crammed in there as they have loads of exhibits to show off and not enough roof space to cover them all.
Thatís was the problem with Bovvy 2019, as Stewart could qualify. So with this COVID thing and the social distance thing etc, then next show could be a right nightmare to put together. Whenever that is going to be ?
November 20,21 or November 27,28 are the 2 weekend dates next year. 20,21 is the more Traditional dates ? At the council these seems to be popular weeks to take off, so I need to be putting in provisional bookings for the Friday and Mondays around the weekend sooner rather than later.
Miles