Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Took the Hammer'in Iron plunge...  (Read 456 times)

Commander Klank

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Took the Hammer'in Iron plunge...
« on: September 18, 2020, 05:25:51 AM »
I've always loved ACW ironclads and ACW riverine history I wanted to war-game this unique part of the ACW but I struggled to find a system that wasn't overwhelming.  Hammer'in Iron seems to meet my requirements and I ordered the War Chest with a few other bits too get started. My local war-game group is interested as well. I hope this forum isn't as dead as it seems. I'm post some of my work once I get the shipment is and get started painting it up.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Took the Hammer'in Iron plunge...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »
I hope this forum isn't as dead as it seems.

Commander Klank,

Welcome to the RFCM Forum! I'm sorry you feel that this Forum is on life support - and would be interested in understanding that viewpoint / perception. Some days are busier than others, but there's usually a healthy flurry of postings and discussion. If you scroll to the bottom of the screen you should see "RFCM - Info Center", which you can expand to see the latest postings. Most folk that post here (with some honourable exceptions) are based in Europe, so activity can vary by periods of the day.

Do please shout if this isn't working for you or you are otherwise struggling to find recent posts.

Do please bear in mind too the scope of this Forum: if you're looking for many dozens of posts a day across a wide range of topics a la TMP (admittedly some of which are directly related to wargaming, but others not), you may be disappointed!

I do hope you will find plenty to what your appetite for all things Peter Pig and RFCM, and will find us a happy and friendly group.

Simon

Commander Klank

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »
Hi Commander Klank,
Hammerin Iron (or Clang as we call it at the Club) is one of the PP periods I game. I love the variety of ships and the game mechanisms themselves. I used to buy a new ship or two every year at my local show (sadly cancelled for 2021). But I've now got 20 ships painted up and all the accessories so I've stopped adding things (at least for now). For my 50th 12 or so of us had a free for all game. One ship each. Great fun. Cheers John

I was just looking at this message room for Hammer'in Iron.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 12:22:39 PM »
Hi Commander Klank,
Hammerin Iron (or Clang as we call it at the Club) is one of the PP periods I game. I love the variety of ships and the game mechanisms themselves. I used to buy a new ship or two every year at my local show (sadly cancelled for 2021). But I've now got 20 ships painted up and all the accessories so I've stopped adding things (at least for now). For my 50th 12 or so of us had a free for all game. One ship each. Great fun. Cheers John

I was just looking at this message room for Hammer'in Iron.

OK - got it, thanks - I feared that the whole RFCM Forum was seen to be at death's door!

Things tend to go in waves - usually based on whatever range or rules that Martin is focusing on at a given point in time.

Simon

Moggy

• Supporter 2021
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 11:25:17 PM »
OK!  Spent far too much today. Now taken the plunge and got CLUNK and a small flotilla for each side.

Damm you Paypal!

Derek

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 07:15:51 AM »
I think I might try and get my small Rebel fleet painted over this next possible looming “lockdown” finish off my large fort as well.
Between Crete and the Factory game bits.
Once I ve mastered this “imgur” photo thing I might be able to post some pictures.
Simon ? please talked to me about this, I am doing something wrong ?
Miles

Commander Klank

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 03:50:56 AM »
It's here and it looks fantastic. The rules are just right for the group I play with and I really like them.

myrm

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 08:40:41 AM »
I found the same and the relatively low model count means I have a decent collection with lots of games in them, no need for anyone else at the club to take the plunge just to have a game or two. I can add the odd extra ship here and there and extend my range over time. I currently have 6 laminated fleets for each side and can do mix and match on the day.
Makes for quick setup.

If I can get a decent open hex mat we might play some more freeform scenarios but with the core river game having such a decent set of objectives and scoring a straight fleet toe to toe action has slightly less interest in the players.

Leman

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 07:47:47 AM »
I have to be honest Myrm, I didn't understand that last paragraph at all. It seemed very contradictory. Can you please explain further.

Commander Klank

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 12:23:09 PM »
Here's some of my ironclads I got done... the USS Milwaukee is a Thoroughbred model not carried by PP line: the rest ar Peter Pig.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 12:44:30 PM »
They look very nice, Commander Klank. I like the weathered ("distressed"?) look and all the detail you've brought out.

Would you mind sharing your approach to painting, please?

Simon

Commander Klank

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 10:44:02 PM »
Basic colors: all wooden decks red brown base coat, Union ironclad armored surfaces; black base coat , Confederate ironclad armored surfaces, German gray (dark gray) base coat.

Next is dry brushing…

Decks; dry brush beige brown, add white to color for more layers going to very light brown…

Union ironclad armor surfaces; dry brush dark gray, then lighten up layers till lightest just hits the edges and ridges in armor… going for a black weathered look.

Confederate ironclad armored surfaces; add white to the German gray basecoat color for dry brush then dry brush with natural gray, and then hit surfaces with various grays to get the weathered look. I eyeball it going for the worn grayish look.

Rust spots; oxide red watered down for splotches and a few solid spots… again I eyeball it but I’m careful to not over do the rust. 

I’m going to do the CSS Arkansas (next batch) with rust patina armor. It was quickly launched as soon as it was done being built. The CSS Arkansas was lucky, she ran into the Union raiding party of 3 Union gunboats that was coming up the Yazoo River to destroy the ship before it could be launched.  That did not happen…. It was described as a “red monster” by some whom fought it that day.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 08:04:29 AM »
Many thanks Commander Klank for these details. I'm always interested in how different folk paint up their toys, and your recipes worked very well.

I look forward to seeing the Red Monster next!

Simon