Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: battle of Britain  (Read 138 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
battle of Britain
« on: September 14, 2020, 10:09:56 PM »
Battle of Britain 80th anniversary tomorrow (Sept 15th).
The film is still very good I think

martin :)

Antioch (Bob)

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: battle of Britain
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 10:58:29 PM »
It sure is...  the making of that movie is almost as interesting. One of the gents who did much flying for the movie noticed they were short of money...so he got paid off in some of the planes used. For years they were storred in a warehouse in Texas (while the value climbed). He passed a 5-6 years ago & they were auctioned off...

Bob

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/bob/spitfire.htm

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2014/august/28/battle-of-britain-movie-airplanes-sold

Grey Heron

• Supporter 2021
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 11:22:57 PM »
Super movie, great actors.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:56:02 AM »
Thanks for finding that Bob.
I am amazed at how these 8 year old pieces survive.
Each year I go to London science museum , look at the planes there and give thanks for all that was done by those pilots and crews.

martin

Big Mike

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 11:20:17 AM »
David Jason is narrating a programme on TV about the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. Not seen it yet. The young men who flew those fighters and bombers at the time deserve our remembrance.
When I hear the unmistakable growl of the Merlin engine.... No words.
Mike

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 12:31:08 PM »
Mike
Tell us what it was like in a Spitfire

martin :)

Radar

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 03:23:52 PM »
Some years ago I was climbing on Hen Cloud, my climbing partner joined me on the ledge halfway up the main cliff. We'd been climbing in low lying cloud, but for just a minute or three whilst we sat on that small ledge the clouds parted and below us (over towards Rudyard Lake) was the BoB flight below us. Total goosebumps moment.

Antioch (Bob)

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »
Yes we owe those chap who flew then.... and certainly all the others who flew later.

Sadly no chance to see the Battle of Britain flight over here....but a small tail about a few different museums over here & there aircraft. Paul Allen (of microsoft fame) started his own plane collection ...now turned into a museum in Everett Washington. They restore what they have in the collection to flyable condition.. They also do “fly days” as they take the planes up regularly.  It is almost as much a thrill to see them fly as learn where they came from.

The day i was there it was German day.... an FW190A  (recovered almost intact from a Russian swamp) a Fiesler storch  & an ME 109E ( recovered from being ditched on a french beach & covered with sand until someone tripped over a piece sticking up). The 109 didn’t fly as it had developed a brake problem, the 190 taxied out, ran up & they found a problem...so headed back in... the Fiesler storch.... amazing plane...he flew it into the wind, cut the throttle & it just hung in mid air with no forward momentum... Amazing plane.

And yes inside is a perfectly restored Hurricane & a Gorgeous spitfire.... never made it down but hope to get back... walking back to my car (being a curious type) I took a look in another hanger... only to see a japanese zero being restored.

Bob

Big Mike

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 10:58:33 AM »
I have been extremely fortunate to have flown in a MkIXc, MJ627 in 2016. It was converted to a 2 seat trainer from an operational RCAF aircraft and restored by at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hanger.
The aircraft's log book shows it had flown over Belgium in 1944 and shot down a Me109 at Arnhem.

Just sitting in the crew seat in the early morning sunshine and taxi-ing out to the runway as the Merlin roared would have been experience enough to remember.
The pilot was an ex-Navy Harrier flyer, proud to be flying what he called "this amazing 80 year old lady" and after 10 minutes in the air I took the controls. I had just enough pre-flight briefing to do this and felt totally safe and secure as we flew straight and level.
Keeping the plane level and at the correct altitude took real concentration but the controls were not heavy or slow. Visibility from the rear cockpit was excellent and the pilot kept up a steady flow of instructions and encouragement, to make sure I was still on the ball no doubt. He mentioned a few times not to get too close the the Gatwick flight areas!
We were heading out to the channel and after a sharp  banking turn and we were flying alongside the White Cliffs (I had handed back the controls by now of course).
Out to sea and then gaining height before a dive and a barrel roll. G-Force as expected but hoping not to see my breakfast for a second time - fortunately no need to use one of the little yellow bags carefully at hand.
After the exhilaration I had to remind myself that I was doing all this for fun and not because I was being shot at.
As we headed back I took the controls again, flying over the M25. Another barrel roll (two were plenty) and a perfect landing from the pilot.
My brother flew in the same aircraft straight after me and we both agreed it was a real privilege to have flown in a real Spitfire.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 11:06:13 AM »
Wow - that sounds like quite an experience, Mike.

I will have to start saving the pennies...

Simon