Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pony Wars - B Troop IS coming back!  (Read 468 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Pony Wars - B Troop IS coming back!
« on: September 12, 2020, 09:28:24 AM »
Obviously not an RFCM ruleset, but it was written for 15mm figures, and PP already provides a wider (I believe) and nicer range than the original Tabletop figures: Pony Wars (which I've long regretted not buying when it was originally available) is being reprinted in a modern version by the 3 surviving original authors:

http://ponywars.uk/

Baccus has long been rumoured to be planning a 6mm range to suit, but this could also be good for 15mm - probably as a group project rather than one person fielding the hundreds of figures required.

As I write, they're still 1,478 pre-orders shy of their 1,500 pre-production target, but it will be interesting to see how much enthusiasm this generates for all things Western.

Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Wars - B Troop IS coming back!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 10:42:09 AM »
PP would be lucky to sell that many rules in a 7 year print run, let alone a pre order.

I expect they have re-written the rules for one on one games?
I played the original rules back in 1976?
We played quite a  lot, using buckets and buckets of Peter Laing plains wars figures. i had to build 150 Indian cavalry for a start.

The controversial bit. Based on the original set. Thus this might all be rubbish if the set has changed.

1. Hollywood based and very amusing. No pre game or strategic (battle plan) decisions. Just set up and follow the random events generated by the game.
2. Really big table with lots  of buttes etc.
3.Needs a very large number of figures plus specials such as the lone ranger.

I would happily play the game, if someone  else painted up the figures and ran the game. Great fun for a club games night with lots of people playing. The rules did specifically request that others did not put on games at shows of this rule set.

Good luck to the publishers of this iconic and famous rule set.

martin

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 11:06:54 AM »
Thanks for your perspective, Martin. I have signed up for the new rules, so can report back on any changes (likely to be options rather than a rewrite, from what I can infer).

It might be something to do at the 2025 WWW?

Simon

Moggy

• Supporter 2021
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:05:17 PM »
Sounds interesting. Only another 1462 people to get interested now. :)

Derek (Mog)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 04:00:35 PM »
The rules are to be the original with no changes, other than some clarifications and an appendix with some ideas to stream line the game. The book will be hardback and I think in colour. But 600 Indians is beyond most single players to collect!

The Hollywood thing is ok in my eyes. It's not pretending to be history and very much influenced by the John Ford vision of the Cavalry. Having said that, it's not a game you can get playing in a couple of weeks from purchase. I think it's a nostalgia project, as a tribute to Ian Beck, one of the original authors.

The subscription model, with a target set at 1,500, seems a lot. I assume that there is an anticipation that there is the customer base out there to reach the goal. With my primary school maths, that works out at over £37,000 in sales. I shall follow with interest. I actually have the original version, but may support the project funds permitting.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »
Well it's gaining rapid traction.

Just during the course of the day, the subscribers have increased 350%. To 77...

Simon

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 10:18:16 PM »
I have the rules and the specials all mounted onto cards.
Dave has most of the figures and Martin converted several specials like the war wagon.
We played quite often at STaB.
It needs a lot of time, a lot of stuff, a large table, and a lot of players for all the factions.

Great game, but all very Hollywood.

Brian Cameron

• Supporter 2021
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 11:54:01 PM »
At that price I'm glad I have a copy of the original.  A while back I considered doing it in 6mm but it's still an awful lot of kit so I didn't go ahead with the project. 

From a solo player's point of view, the arrivals and reaction charts are really interesting, providing a method to determine the actions of a non-played side.  Probably best suited to non-organised forces (ie natives) and adaptable to other settings as Peter Gilder demonstrated when he used it as the basis for his Sundan rules.

Brian

pbeccas (Paul)

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 02:58:22 AM »
I would be interested in getting a copy but I’m not subscribing and paying up front for a product that may never see the light of day. 

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 06:30:18 AM »
I ve got a set of the original rules too. As Les says we played it at STaB a few times.
Maybe we could go through the rules and breakdown some of the scenes into smaller scenarios and then play them out using the ‘Western Rules’ hopefully not requiring all the figures needed at one time ? I do remember the endless boxes of figures required.
Miles

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 09:06:58 AM »
Hello Paul
I think they will publish it anyway (they have put a lot of work into it) , but are pushing for maximum income.
Their consideration might be that after the initial rush sales would be small. Hence make the money up front and have a long tail of smaller sales?

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 10:22:37 AM »
Just like a Hollywood film release, then?

A cunning plan!

Simon

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 11:25:02 PM »
Yes Peter has stated that anyone who pays up front will get the rules. It's not dependant on hitting 1,500 subscribers. But that is the sweet spot to break even financially.

fastolfrus

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 08:42:25 PM »
Most of the figures for the game could probably come from the existing Western range.
But 600 mounted Indians would take a lot of painting...

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 11:38:21 PM »
Spray and wash would give 'acceptable results'to get going with though.