[Soldadets] Refurbishing my Army of Tennessee (some PP)

Started by Lluis of Minairons, September 08, 2020, 09:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman (Andy)

I agree with the above comment and really good to see the dismounted version as well, vital for scouting and holding operations.

Lluis of Minairons

After a lot of time devoted to other projects, lately I've been able to retake my Army of Tennessee refurbishing task - now with another infantry regiment, the 9th Texas:

This time there are no PP figures here (apologies for this!) - but a selection from AB and Old Glory 15s with a small pick from Minifigs instead. Most figures were already painted years ago, so I've just refreshed some colours, adding a few washes and highlights here and there. Only exception to this is the blue shade of trousers and facings, that was way too pale; so these elements have been repainted using a mixture of Vallejo's 70.841 Andrea Blue + 70.961 Sky Blue.

(more pictures and some rationale on my personal blog, https://soldadets.blogspot.com/2023/01/9e-ri-de-texas.html)

Best regards,
Lluís

Colonel Kilgore

Despite not being PP, they look quite good, Lluis  ;D

Thank you too for sharing the colours you've used for the trousers - that's always very useful.

Simon

martin goddard

It is a real plus for wargamers that older figures can be touched up/renewed and put back into action. Good lead Lluis.

martin :)

Stewart 46A

Anatoli

Leman (Andy)

Lovely work Lluis. I have a real soft spot for the Army of Tennesse, and also the Hardee battle flag. I recently read an article written after the author had studied Confederate blue trousers and compared them to Union blue trousers. Apparently the Confederate ones were a richer and slightly darker blue than the Union, which were lighter and of a dustier tone.

Lluis of Minairons

Same I read too, and this is what I tried to represent in this unit - however, I'm not 100% happy with the final blue shade. Perhaps a bit too deep. Next time I'll change the mix above to make it lighter.

Leman (Andy)

Well in my opinion, having seen the colour switches used in the research, I think you already have it correct.

Smoking gun

Lluis, Speaking as someone who used to colour match fabric for a living don't get too concerned about an exact match. The variation between batches is quite noticeable. Dyeing fabric is a bit like cooking, the recipe will have been followed to the best of the cooks ability but there will variations in the result.

The figures look very nice.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Lluis of Minairons

Lluis of Minairons

Sometimes you find yourself with figure samples not fitting enough your taste for buying more of them, but that you regret not taking advantage of in one way or another. This is the case with the figures in this article, that I purchased long ago from a company called FreiKorps, which are intended to represent Alabama militiamen in the early days of ACW.

This brand used a very brittle alloy, which at the time gave me a few annoyances; mainly due to broken bayonets. During my recent restoration of these figures, I have re-bayoneted those having lost it, using either common staples or parts from other broken figures. Maybe the result is far from brilliant, but I think it will do the job - at least for a while.

Some more on this topics on my personal blog, https://soldadets.blogspot.com/.

Cheers,
Lluís

Colonel Kilgore

I think that more than "does the job", Lluis!  ;)

Simon

Stewart 46A

martin goddard