Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ou est la belle France?  (Read 158 times)

John Watson

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Ou est la belle France?
« on: September 06, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
Hi all,
this all started with one of my flippant remarks, but the responses I had has made me think that this may be a possible, once Covid has passed.
Here is the idea:-
A group of RFCM/PP stalwarts get together and travel by car and ferry to France for a wargames weekend. We could travel either 2 or 3 to a car depending on how much wargaming equipment we take. Travel from either Poole or Southampton to Cherbourg, Le Havre or Caen. Then drive to somewhere in Normandy, preferably near a French wargames club (Les may have to advise here) and take on the locals at our favorite PP games. We could hire a gites for accommodation.
So it could be (for example) 6 of us in 2 cars travelling over daytime Friday, spending one day gaming against a local club and the other day gaming against each other or sight seeing or just chilling and then returning to the UK on the Monday. If it works out then we could plan longer term for 2024 and do a Battle for Normandy theme.
From a cost perspective I would suggest that we go out of season. What do people think? Would anyone be seriously interested? Can others perhaps add a little flesh to the bones?
Bon chance.
John

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Ou est la belle France?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 12:12:36 PM »
Morning John, I would be up for it.

If you plan it they will come

i would like to see some of the D-Day beach’s/museums so may be extend the visit if gaming Saturday and Sunday .

I have plenty of D-day time armies.

Stewart

Andoreth

• Domestic Pig
  • We all make our own hells
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
When our club went on a cultural outing to the Normandy beaches we went over by ferry from Dover and started with the Calais museum which had some poor dioramas but some excellent uniforms and then visited some ten museums over a period of three days, including one museum specializing in items recovered from below the waterline. We based ourselves in Bayeau and a great time was had by all.

Andrew

DorchesterBede

• Supporter 2021
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 04:39:57 PM »
John

I have a friend that lives in Normandy so have travelled there on a number of occasions. The good news is other then around the first week of June the roads are far less crowded then over this side of the pond. Travelling from Poole to Cherbourg is probably best for those in Weymouth,whilst those travelling from Portsmouth/Southampton the Portsmouth to Caen would be best. Caen is good for the British beaches Cherbourg for the American - Carentan about mid way between.

My friend lives on the American end and there certainly is a lot to see that end so perhaps a day gaming and a day visiting the sites. Fares tend to be not to bad as long as you travel out of season I normally pay between £120-£150 to cross by car (2 adults). Brittany Ferries often have a 72 hour crossing deals out of season. That said Brittany Ferries are currently struggling and there will be no passenger ferries running out of Poole until March 2021 at the earliest, they are concentrating on the Caen - Portsmouth run looking at three crossings a day. Not sure how this rationalisation will effect prices, just have to hope France comes out of our quarantine list and there is a push for tourism come the spring with lots of offers.

Les of course is the most familiar with the crossings from Normandy to the UK.

I'm certainly interested in a visit. Not sure how easy accommodation is to find, an option could be airbnb?

Chris

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 07:32:41 PM »
John,

I would love to come if I can.

Pertinent factors are timing, duration and whatever the family has planned at the time.

Thanks for kicking off this thread!

Simon

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 08:13:28 PM »
All is possible.
Ralph and myself have had some interesting experiences at the french clubs.
Most close to here, within 1 hour, are small by UK standards. The one at Carantan has 4-6 regular players.
The one north of Rennes is an hour to the south of us and they only play SB and again 4-6 players and if you were based at Bayeux it would be a 2 hour drive.
At the moment we have not found a club that plays PBI.
Most of the bigger museums are open for most of the year, the smaller ones will have limited hours in the winter. With Covid I don't know what will happen this winter, a few more may be closed to save money.
We can organise the Salle de Fete in our village for a days gaming.
At present the clubs are wary and how they operate is controlled by the local marie, depending on the local Covid rate.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 07:41:20 AM »
I am up for a trip and hopefully Trips to France. As there are so many museums to visit, you could never do them at the same time. I was going to say Les would be a good source to use ask and use for these trips, as he and Ralph are in the best place ? It’s where the Allies broke out eventually? Give or take a few klicks? So would be good Place to set up base to travel to most of the sites from that on both sides, US and British and Canadians beaches.
I would suggest a long weekend next year maybe September? Thursday evening as the night boats are usually cheaper to travel on ?  to a Sunday night ?so that would give us Friday, Saturday and Most of a Sunday there. Just to throw out a test date ? See the reaction ? As this would give this Current Covid madness, a chance to settle down and hopefully by then, ( with or without a vaccine?) we would have a “normal” code of practice to follow one way or another ? As September is out of season and the weather can be generally quite nice, but not too hot, as France can be 2-3 degrees hotter than England in the summer period, I use to find.
As John says 2/3 to a car. I have a Vauxhall Zafira so plenty of room. To be honest travelling from Poole or Portsmouth is not a great difference in either way, for any of us in the South of England. But Les usually uses the Poole to Cherbourg route! He has been going back and forth to that part of France for years so there must be a good reason he prefers that route ?
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 07:51:15 AM »
That sounds like a plan, Miles.

Does that mean we ditch the gaming, and focus on visiting sites?  While it would be nice to meet French gamers, not bringing any figures would reduce the logistical burden and allow more time to focus on the history.

You've set something off here, John!

Simon

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »
We could plan a game a night ? So this would at least only have to focus on bringing a certain amount ? Obviously some Alcohol would be involved somewhere in there, as we would be in Calvados region right at the end of growing and picking season too.
So we might be able to formulate some form of working plan ?
By the sounds of it Stewart, John, Myself, Chris hopefully Martin and maybe Simon are involved? Anyone else ?
Miles

John Watson

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 10:09:20 AM »
All good suggestions and nice to find that there is plenty of interest. I will do some more research and come up with some dates and figures (finance not gaming). On the wargaming front my original idea was to get some table top games in, but we can drop these or bring some board games along. I am partial to both board games and war games.
Watch this space as they say.
John