Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PP metal  (Read 202 times)

Radar

PP metal
« on: September 06, 2020, 10:30:14 AM »
Has the metal formula at Maison de Cochon changed? Currently trying (and really struggling) to twist heads off ECW horse with pistol and helmet.

Really tough going, much harder than normal.
In the interests of transparency I have to point out that I haven't had my breakfast yet. But still...

John Watson

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: PP metal
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
I bet Martin has snuck some titanium in there.
John

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 02:26:08 PM »
The metal is a lot tougher these days, I ve noticed that too. A pair of Long nosed pliers do the job nicely ? I ve notice on my Dremel I ve had to put the speed up to re drill the hole for the heads.
Miles

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 07:49:46 PM »
Not had any trouble with my head swaps, either taking the old head off or drilling the hole for the new one.

My only comment is that the necks on the new head sprues are a different diameter!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 09:22:29 PM »
Most PP figures are made in a sort of pewter. ie 90% tin with some lead etc too.
This is a very hard metal and can be tricky to drill.
Dipping the drill in a little light oil will help get the drill through. This is because Tin will "bind" easily.
Softer metal such as "L;(or 60/40) which is what Essex etc use is easier to drill, as it has 40% lead.

Thus the metal is harder to drill both literally and figuratively.
Hope that assists.

Sorry

martin :(

Radar

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 10:59:35 PM »
Thank you Martin.

My initial comments were that this batch seem so much harder than normal. Had to resharpen my pilot hole making pin after every figure (normally needs resharpening after 10 figures or so), got through two new drill bits on 6 figures (they are my normal drill bits, from the same batch as I usually use), they just blunted really quickly even with lube. Also snapped an X-Acto blade cutting raised horse legs away from the sticky up bits of their bases. I dug out a couple of figures from the spares box and they were a breeze in comparison, seemed a much softer metal in comparison.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 07:19:34 AM »
Thatís a very good Answer Martin, I wish I had asked the question earlier myself. Whatís the quote? Good to know ?
As I ve got quite a few headswops to do over the coming months, with the 8th Army, including ANZAC and Indian units to represent and field, using 8th Army, 14th Army and British infantry and other figures to get what I want. Head Swops a plenty.
Many thanks again Martin.
Miles