Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vapnartak cancelled  (Read 174 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Vapnartak cancelled
« on: August 27, 2020, 12:28:47 AM »
Crikey, they've cancelled Vapnartak, 5 months away.

No critiscism of those making the decision, but I wonder if this is a sign of things to come next year. Salute is only a further 2 months on from Vapnartak.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Vapnartak cancelled
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 01:40:00 AM »
That is a surprise.

I do not know much about how the racecourse works ,but maybe they are placing too many conditions . Thus, making the show too much of a "pain" to run?   
They might be insisting on limited numbers, policing face mask wearing, toilet restrictions, not touching figures etc. All this meaning that the show becomes unmanageable?
Does John (YORK) know??

In a similar vein, we have suspended our club meetings due to the number of restrictions the hall wishes to place upon us.
They would not allow us to use the kitchen facilities, required us to clean the toilets and book the number of chairs we wished to use. I understand why they impose such restrictions, By doing so they make the exercise less worth the effort.

martin :(

Radar

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 08:16:38 AM »
Oh no! That is sad news. My favourite show.
Whilst the cancellation of 2020 events are equally sad, there's sort of an inevitability about it - 2020 is a write off for most things.

Vapnartak  2021 feels much further away (despite being just 5 months), so seems worse. I guess the current situation will continue well into next year.

Radar

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 08:19:54 AM »
From Vapnartak website

More detail on our thought process

York Wargames Society have been examining the status of Vapnartak as it is affected by the continuing Covid 19 situation. We have to consider the costs in time and money of setting up a show (for the club and the traders and exhibitors) compared to the show suffering from the impact of Covid 19 regulations and social distancing.

There are three possible scenarios
Covid 19 pandemic finishes in good time to set the show up
Covid 19 has some impact but the show can progress in a limited form
Covid 19 has a huge impact and the show must be cancelled.

In these scenarios, 2 or 3 are the most likely.
The problem is we do not know what would have to be in place to run a show under social distancing rules. The rules will be different in February next year and nobody can foretell what they may be. Rules could change just before the show date. We might enter a period of extra lockdown in the middle of the winter flu season the week before.

Therefore bearing in mind that:
We cannot see how we could get 2000 people into the racecourse in a socially distanced manner.
We do not know what the rules will be.
We do not want to tell traders/exhibitors that the show is on to then cancel at the last minute (Recognising the investment in time and money made to even turn up with a van of gear)
We do not know how the attendance might drop due to Covid 19,

The club committee have come to the conclusion that it will be impossible to run Vapnartak in 2021. The risks to health and the risk to the success and hence reputation of the show are too great. We feel that an earlier decision gives clarity and does not raise false hopes.

Our intention is to come back in 2022 stronger than ever.

In the meantime thanks for supporting Vapnartak in the past and we look forward to seeing you in 22.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 09:32:44 AM »
Thanks for posting, Radar.

That is a good and useful rationale / decision tree from the organisers, that could usefully be applied to other such events.

It does seem sad cancelling something 5 months out, but based on sound principles, I feel.

Simon

Wardy64

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 09:38:30 AM »
I have just been reviewing contingency plans, which are needed to be in place till at least May 2021.

Dave

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
Grim days

martin :(

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 11:07:28 AM »
I have just been reviewing contingency plans, which are needed to be in place till at least May 2021.

Dave

May 2021 is of course the big Crete anniversary, so some hope there?

Simon

Wardy64

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 11:14:02 AM »
They are only contingency plans!

Dave

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »
As things stand at the moment and no vaccine until winter 2021/22,
 Bovington show maybe traders only( easy to social distance around the tanks), no games because of the risk of cross contamination , mask to be worn by punters.
Still a question over a bring and buy.

Stewart

Brian Cameron

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 12:39:02 PM »
Cancelling 5 months ahead - I know from my own experience of running Salute that you have to work a long way ahead.  No sooner is one event completed than you're working on next years; the dates are often booked several years ahead such is the demand for venues.  So you can spend a lot of money on advertising, etc which a club is going to lose if there's a late need to cancel.  Plus in many case traders and exhibitors will have booked accommodation and transport, etc.

My own view is that without a vaccine that 2021 will be like much of 2020.  Much as I enjoy wargame and railway modelling shows, I have too many underlying health conditions to want to take any significant risks.  I helped oragnise the first Salute in 1972 and I've only missed one (200 miles away with a broken leg, not much of an excuse I appreciate...) but if it runs next year I'll give it a miss if the risk seems to high.

Brian

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
Don't despair chaps.
There will be a new gamette in a months time!
Maybe Solo??

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 02:12:03 PM »
Ah - a solo gamette would be most appropriate in these strange times!

And at least we should all get a boost from winning every time?

Simon

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 02:19:50 PM »
This is where it gets difficult, meeting up for a game having up to 4 of you not really a problem, havin an event maybe 10-12 ok(ish) after that....
Like John posted last weekend Bovington maybe the first show we can all go to ? But that might be a push.
We shall see.
Miles

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »
Not sure about the winning Simon. I wish to add to the misery.

martin :)