Soundtrack albums

Started by martin goddard, August 21, 2018, 07:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin goddard

I often buy soundtrack albums of films that i have enjoyed (OST).
Some have been awful and not had the film bits I like.
Others are evocative and listened to repeatedly by myself.

Here are my recommend/favourite 3.
Their age should make them cheap purchases too.

Master and Commander.
Gladiator , the second album.
Last of the moccasins (or is that wrong?)

Yor recommendations (OST only)

Colonel Kilgore

Funnily enough, the two that come to mind for me are also Master & Commander and Gladiator.

I should probably add Platoon - lots of good music of the time in that too.

I suppose I shouldn't mention Mamma Mia on this particular forum...

Radar

Good Morning Vietnam is an excellent OST. Fine tunes with a wee bit of Robin Williams DJing in between too.

Got it on cassette somewhere. But no cassette player. :(

The rather wonderful Edie Brickell had a cameo in Born on the 4th of July as a protest singer, that would be worth listening to

Leman (Andy)

Blade Runner is my soundtrack of choice. Not really into over the top orchestral sound tracks. My other favourites are Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting, The Commitments and The Buena Vista Social Club.

Duncan

I have not come across this before? You can buy Ads, records etc with just music from movies, I was not aware of this? How on Earth could I have gone fifty years without realising this?

John in York

The Hunt for Red October

"Give me a ping Vassily".

Mensn

Streets of Fire (my favorite one)
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
Footloose ( the old one, not the one from the remake)
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill

and many more ...

martin goddard

Streets of fire.  A great album from a very old (1983?) film.

Sean Clark

'Glory' is probably my favourite soundtrack of all time. The Harlem Boys choir is mesmerising.

I also like the Lord of the Rings soundtrack too.

Favourite film theme tune has got to be A Bridge too Far.

Smiley Miley 66

Battle of Britain opener with the German part then the British part in the track.
Hunt for Red October with the main tune as they go out to sea, great Russian Choir.
But of course A Bridge Too Far.

Big Mike

The closing music and film sequences of Cross of Iron always gets me. It seems to bring home how a nation of generally decent hardworking people were led into Hell by a bunch of twisted psychopaths.

Jonnyboy

Honourable mention for Hans Zimmer's

"The Last Samurai"
"Interstellar
"Inception"

Always good for a bit of motivated brushwork.

Jon

Jonnyboy

And yes the opening/ closing children's nursery song in Cross of Iron always gets me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqwkpiFg4c

Peckinpah....."more of a myth than a man"

Leman (Andy)

Had an interesting coach trip back in 1971 with a group of German pensioners. We were on our way up into the Hartz mountains to visit Hitler's HQ during the Battle of the Bulge. They were belting out 'I love to go a-wandering', in German, for all they were worth. It was quite stirring.

Mike Tanner

I watched Saturday Night Fever for the first time about 5 years ago and do not own any other Bee Gees music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upreJjwag0g

The closing scenes of Breaker Morant. Has their ever existed a British government which did not stab its own soldiers in the back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx7M91XGuFY

The contrarian within me requires I post this little gem from Cabaret (1972). I wonder why the chaps who dragged Germany up from its knees, united the people, and then turned the country back into the economic and cultural power house it had been prior to WW1 are considered "twisted pyschopaths" by most. I would consider post-modern British politicians, many of whom are documented drug abusers, child molesters and outright criminals, to be far more deserving of the label: psychopaths. I also suggest the murderous tally of stabbings, shootings and acid attacks, which grows daily in the UK is damning evidence Britain is not being led by patriotic men who have the best interest of the country or its citizenry at heart.

;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN7r0Rr1Qyc