Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Bridge Too Far  (Read 13272 times)

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A Bridge Too Far
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
I know Martin, i always look at Show dates first, before i "plan" Our events. That's why i can say the weekend of 20/21/22 September is good. Its the weekend  which is corresponding to Arnhem, as near as i can get it. 75 years to the day. As the battle we are doing is day 3 and the orginal operation started on 17th September, that pretty damn close i would say !!!
 I will state now. Unless other people want to take on the modelling and gaming projects. The Para landings are out. The Glider landings are out. Arnhem Bridge is out. As these are massive undertakings in Modelling terms and Gaming Terms.
I am trying to make this a project we can actual achieve.
Like Mike did with Ardennes, you can only do "snap shots" of a big event, you cannot do the "Whole" thing.
 If other people on this forum want to do other parts of this adventure please do.
But after looking at the history and facts etc. That's why i am starting it  just after the Son Bailey Bridge was constructed. Reality of the situation had set in, from all parties. Its a slog to get up the road, The Germans as well as the British are both on the Attack ! With the US Airbourne the "Defenders" as such. Which puts a slightly different dynamic to the game ? Everyone has to be Offensive in Stature ! No one can afford to give ground !

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2018, 02:09:53 PM »
Very good Miles, when do you plan to list the forces required so you know who can provide what?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »
Have now an updated set of table layouts?

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2018, 05:17:17 PM »
When I have time to sit down young Stewart. I know my compartrates in Weymouth donít do as much as us. But we the other side of Dorset do a lot and with everything else I am doing. This side of Xmas is out. I canít get the lists out until February. At the earliest. Unfortunately I took on a bit too much wargaming tasks 6 weeks ago and I am now paying for it in time. I ve got the British tanks for Beachhead to start next week. When I am not working, or on a treadmill I  will be painting and making them.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »
What game are you putting on at beachhead?

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »
Beach head Assault. Juno Beach

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
Oh, I thought we were doing this as a group on 2 6ft tables (British) & (American) next year?

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2018, 07:30:09 AM »
Yes we are. But i did say that me and Colin and Mike were putting the game on at Beachead too, and maybe a couple of other venues too. As it is 75 th Anniversery of -944

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »
Speaking to Peter and others at Entoyment. Arnhem weekend in on. Friday20,21,22 September.we as a group can do Hells Highway on the Saturday. Oosterbeck is being done by the 20mm Battlegroup as they can burrow a big board with most of the scenary on already. There is Arnhem Bridge itself and Nijmegen, left to be done
 Also found out that Dday in June will be another weekend that is being done so we can agree to do a beach or two as well. 

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
PBI Day A Bridge too far
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »
Here is a good discussion about the event, by three wargamers.

http://afewbritsandthehobby.libsyn.com/episode-26-operation-market-garden

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: PBI Day A Bridge too far
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »
I have just found my old copy of the Rapid Fire campaign guide for Market Garden. It has 8 linked scenarios running from Joe's Bridge through to the last defence around Oosterbeek. There is also a 'grand' scenario intended to be fought on a 16' table which condenses the campaign down to be fought in a smaller space running from Wolfhezze close to the landing zones through to the bridge. It features the whole of the airborne Divison. I wonder if there might be something usable to convert for our purposes. Admittedly Rapid Fire is played at a higher level where a company is represented by 8 figures so some adjustments would be required....

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2018, 06:03:12 PM »
Great Sean, these usually have a good extract of the units involved and their state of readiness and whether or not they were up to strength.

Did you ever plan any or all of the scenarios?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2018, 07:46:40 PM »
No but I could look at trying out one of them.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2021
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2018, 04:16:32 AM »
Already have that book Sean. Yes already looked at at it and was going to use it to help us do our tables.
The 20 mm boys have got a 16' x 6' table already with Oosterbeek on it from the Pickey boys who play funnly enough "rapid fire"

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2018, 10:22:23 PM »
Miles, have you come across the Pegasus Archive:

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/frames.htm  ?

It promises "a complete Order of Battle for Allied and German units in the Market Garden area". I can't vouch for this, but there is a lot of detail, including photos, war diaries, unit histories, detailed descriptions of the battle, etc. But sadly no maps that I could find.